COIL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR TESORO VAQUERO

CAPTAINKIDD

Greenie
May 6, 2006
(My son ripped my period key off of my laptop, so please excuse the lack of periods)
I've been using my VAQUERO with pretty good results, but I'm wondering if anybody who uses this model has tried any addition coils thereby experiencing added depth, reduction of masking, etc Do the compatible coils really make any difference? Is the difference enough to warrant the cost? Any recommendations would be great
Thanks - CaptainKidd

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CAPTAINKIDD

Greenie
May 6, 2006
As for depth on the VAQUERO, the deepest dime that I have dug was a 1935 mercury and it was on the deeper side of six inches However, it was dug in wood chip mulch that was definitely not very dense I would almost guess that the dime hitched a ride there from where ever the mulch was processed I can assure you though, that I have dug pulltabs, bottle caps, and assorted trash a good deal deeper -Captain Kidd

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Hey captain kidd while I dont have a vaquero, I am seriously considering adding a cibola as a backup to our beloved shadows, if I do so I will definitely be gettinng the 5.75 coil as it will be my primary coil with it. I am a smaller coil user from the get go since we hunt mostly mulch and sand play areas. keep us posted on your decision
hh
dave+bobbie

OP
OP
C

CAPTAINKIDD

Greenie
May 6, 2006
Thanks Dave + Bobbie,
I will keep you posted That same coil is what I was eyeing Happy hunting!
-Captain Kidd

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
CAPTAINKIDD said:
As for depth on the VAQUERO, the deepest dime that I have dug was a 1935 mercury and it was on the deeper side of six inches However, it was dug in wood chip mulch that was definitely not very dense I would almost guess that the dime hitched a ride there from where ever the mulch was processed I can assure you though, that I have dug pulltabs, bottle caps, and assorted trash a good deal deeper -Captain Kidd

Thanks, Kidd.

I have a friend on the Tesoro Forum who told me by PM that his Tejon can get 8 inches on a dime max but generally he's not too happy with the machine. It doesn't do well in trashy areas and is a bit tricky to work with.

Some have gone from the Tejon back to the Vaquero. They say it's much more stable and has almost the same depth as the Tejon.

I use the DeLeon and from what I'm reading all Tesoros require the same basic strategy...HUNT VERY SLOWLY.

I spent almost 5 hours (total hunting time) on a spot about 4 x 12 feet (using standard coil). I found 1 V nickle 1902, 1 Indian cent 1880, 1 Silver Rosie 1963, 1 1930's toy metal truck, 1 heart pendant, 1 1890's ivory/brass button, several cool old relics, and loads of square nails.

Last year I hunted this exact same spot at least a dozen times with a Minelab Excalibur and found only pulltabs and memorial cents.

Tesoros are so good they're hard to even believe. I guess that's why most people never buy one?

OP
OP
C

CAPTAINKIDD

Greenie
May 6, 2006
Thanks for your reply Badger,
Your not kidding when you say hunt slowly. The Vaquero's swing is crazy slow. I find that if I get impatient and swing faster than I should, all I get is shallow clad. Don't get me wrong, that can be nice. But if I really slow down, almost to a crawl, I start picking up signals I didn't know were even there. I guess it's just one of life's exercises in patience. Be well.. Captain Kidd

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
I use a Cibola with the stock coil. I also have the 5.75 coil for it which I rarely use. I used it once in someone's yard and made two very good finds with it. Most areas I hunt aren't too trashy so i have had not much need for it.

It does not seem to have much of a loss as far as depth is concerned.

If you are going to be hunting trashy sites i would recommend that one.

OP
OP
C

CAPTAINKIDD

Greenie
May 6, 2006
Thanks for your advice Froggy,
I have been wading through trash, and it seems that the sound advice so far is the 5.75 coil. I'll probably order one tomorrow. All my best -Captain Kidd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread