Coil Upgrade-Silver Umax

misiek

Nov 2, 2007
Plattsburgh,NY & Mississauga,Ontario
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
I have no idea what coil upgrade to go with here in upstate NY. Right now Im on the standard one and wanted to know if anyone that has used these products can tell me the difference in performance between:

Standard and the 5.75
Standard and the 12x10 widescan/12x10 concentric
12x10 and the 5.75
What about the 9x8...soo many choices!
I also came across a 3x18 coil...huh

or just list pros/cons
Im not a relic hunter,mainly coins and jewellery...although wouldnt mind finding anything fro the CW era :)
It would really help me and I'd know what Im spending my money on.
Also what is the best place to get these coils?Tried ebay but got nothing.

Thanks

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
misiek said:
I have no idea what coil upgrade to go with here in upstate NY. Right now Im on the standard one and wanted to know if anyone that has used these products can tell me the difference in performance between:

Standard and the 5.75
Standard and the 12x10 widescan/12x10 concentric
12x10 and the 5.75
What about the 9x8...soo many choices!
I also came across a 3x18 coil...huh

or just list pros/cons
Im not a relic hunter,mainly coins and jewellery...although wouldnt mind finding anything fro the CW era :)
It would really help me and I'd know what Im spending my money on.
Also what is the best place to get these coils?Tried ebay but got nothing.

Thanks

I've used the stock 8 inch, 9x8, and 12x10 Tesoro concentric coils.

I've also used the DD coils used by Minelab (Excal; Sovereign GT, Ex.II).

I'm assuming the Tesoro "Widescan" are basically DD coils.

The DD coils are great for average depth coins in places with sparse trash.

The concentric coils are best for maximum depth coins in trashy areas.

The DD coils have a bowl shaped signal and are more quickly masked out by nearby trash. Raising the coil doesn't help but actually greatly reduces the depth of the coil. But this coil has greater ground coverage.

The concentric coil has a cone shaped signal and is less subject to nearby trash masking. Raising the coil to shoot in between trash is an old trick that works great with the concentric coils. However, less ground area is covered with this coil.

The DD coils are meant for beaches with shallow finds and sites with little trash.

The concentric coils are meant for depth and flexibility in high trash areas.

Badger

OP
OP
M

misiek

Nov 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Huh..thanks alot. I noticed by reading alot, that you are one of many members who know what theyre talking about. Great information that a newbie could actually understand. Thanks. I think I might buy two coils one for the beaches and one for everything else.Im guessing old houses, cellars and old camps are not THAT trashy. How do different coils react to salt water on the beach?What about fresh water?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
misiek said:
Huh..thanks alot. I noticed by reading alot, that you are one of many members who know what theyre talking about. Great information that a newbie could actually understand. Thanks. I think I might buy two coils one for the beaches and one for everything else.Im guessing old houses, cellars and old camps are not THAT trashy. How do different coils react to salt water on the beach?What about fresh water?

I've never hunted salt water beaches so I couldn't answer that question. Maybe sandman could address that and everything else that has been mentioned.

But when it comes to fresh water beaches and high trash sites, if I were using the Silver uMax I'd use the 12x10 concentric coil. In fact I once used that very setup and loved it. Sometimes I wonder why I ever sold it. I dug lots of coins at depths I could hardly believe. I recall a silver war nickel that was easily 9 inches deep in an area where the land had been covered with top soil. That Silver uMax is one sweet machine.

Right now my detector is the Minelab SE. I'm told it's the deepest but I have to see it for myself. The SE uses the DD coil of course. Since I plan to hunt more beaches this coming spring this could work. We'll see.

Badge

OP
OP
M

misiek

Nov 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Alright so i've been reading about those coils for about 2 hours now. What do you guys think about the 9x8 concenctric and the 12x10 concentric. Im going to get one of those or two if it pays off. Ground coverage is great on the beach and in parks for me, but not for old houses/churches/sites. So which one would get me more depth/discrimination?

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
I use a Eldorado and only a stock coil 9x8 I have found targets up to 12-inch deep.
It also depends on if the sites you hunt have high mineralization grounds where you hunt. If so a DD coil would be better.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 12x10 is your choice for the beaches as it will get a lot of ground covered in a short amount of time plus it is deep. The 9x8 is more for regular school lot hunting with a smaller coil yet being tops for trashy sites.

The Silver Umax has a set ground Balance which can not be changed. So no matter which coil you use in the wet saltwater sand or where the waves hit the sand, it will be unstable due to the saltwater and black sand together. Some places have very little black sand, but they are rare.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
M

misiek

Nov 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Alright, so it seems like im safe on the salt-water lakes as long as Im detecting on dry sand....How about the 5.75 concentric? If you had a budget for only one coil which one would you get. I'll mostly hunt parks,playgrounds,fields,old houses,old properties and such.Yes beach hunting will be involved but only -on average- about 2 out of 10 trips out.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody is right on in their comments.

I can tell you from 18 plus years experience, much with Tesoro products, that you cannot go wrong with the smaller coil if you hunt the areas that you listed. I have gone into many old home sites and construction sites where there was tons of trash and found many of my best finds with the older Tesoro 4 inch coil. The slow motion machine matched with that little coil can't be beat. I learned this technique by watching a fellow one day with a Fisher Machine using the small Fisher 4.5 inch Sniper Coil pull six civil war buttons out of a construction site one day while all of us using machines with stock coils beat ourselves up for not having one. He pulled some great coins out of that lot also. He was able to pick items out of the nails and junk that the rest of us could not touch and there was nothing we could do but watch.

The depth of the little coil will surprise you and if you watch EBAY long enough, you can catch a great deal on one.

You will be amazed at how easy it is to pick some really good targets out of the trash where other people give up after a couple of minutes.

I would say that if I had one coil to add for searching the areas on your list, I would add the smaller coil to the stock coil first.

OP
OP
M

misiek

Nov 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Thanks for that Chief,

So lets say i get the 5.75 concentric coil, and i know its great for trashy areas,but how would I know when to pull it out and put it on?I mean you wont know if you missed something unless you go through an area with both coils.In other words, what am I sacrificing when switching from the 8 inch standard one to the 5.75 one besides area coverage?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread