Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be hunting a lake beach this week end. I use a DFX with the 950 coil that come standard. Just to make sure, I can run this coil under water correct. I fiqure I will be in about three feet tops. I do know not to get water in the box, and about water getting in the poles. I quess your taking chances walking into the water with these type machines. Do you guys run your "dryland"detectors in water? Maybe I'll just stick to a foot deep or so? Just seems like the better finds are further out.

Thanks for any info - Brian

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
I've used my DFX with the coil underwater....no problem. If you look back in the discussions, you will find a thread on coating the coil with expoxy paint (thus eliminating the coil cover & sand/water problem). Just keep in mind....step into a hole..............down goes the detector into the water. It's a risk, but no problem if you are careful.

HH,
Mel

borninok

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stepping in a hole! Been there done that with my hip waders fishing in fast current streams, sure makes you act fast I'll tell you that. Thanks for the info. Never heard of the paint tip.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
I have used my DFX with the stock 950 many times in water with no problem, I keep it shallow so I don't step in a big hole though. It wouldn't hurt to put a little dielectric grease on the plug just to be extra safe. I will do this next time I switch coils.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't hurt to put a little dielectric grease on the plug just to be extra safe. I will do this next time I switch coils.
Silicone sealant works fine too. Some detectors that can be set up for hip mounting have the longer cord for wading and you keep the box around your neck. It's a make shift thing till you can get a real water detector and be safe.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
just had to jump in and say love that car in your avatar! the nomad was my dream car as a kid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread