Coin BAG hunting for wheat

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter and I get rolls of pennies and nickels from the bank when we have time. This weekend, we went to a local coin shop, and I let my daughter buy a 2lb bag of wheaties. We have gotten them in the past, and there usually is a good variety (granted, mostly 40's and 50's). This time, we didn't find ONE good coin that we needed for our 3 whitman folders..... ugh!! No coins below 1940... no steelies.... just commons. Yuck.

It's hard to find a good assortment of wheats..... and I just don't trust ebay.... help?? Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Groovedymond said:
It's hard to find a good assortment of wheats..... and I just don't trust ebay.... help?? Any suggestions?

Depending on how old your daughter is, I would suggest buying a few good cents that you need for her folder and then go buy another bag of wheaties. When she is not looking put those coins in the bag. It will keep her interest up in coin collecting and you will have some good father/daughter time.

My girl just turned 16 and father/daughter time now is "drive-me" time. :-[

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
cyberdan said:
Groovedymond said:

Depending on how old your daughter is, I would suggest buying a few good cents that you need for her folder and then go buy another bag of wheaties. When she is not looking put those coins in the bag. It will keep her interest up in coin collecting and you will have some good father/daughter time.

My girl just turned 16 and father/daughter time now is "drive-me" time. :-[

As in drive you from bank to bank as you look for rolls; and she get's some driving practice in at the same time ? :D

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
have you tried sorting through boxes of pennies at the bank. I know it's not a new idea or anything, but the best thing with searching pennies is that you don't loose that much money using coinstar to exchange them. 10,000 pennies searched, coinstar will charge you something like 8 or 9 dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread