Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats not bad, I got 35 cents my first time there a few weeks ago, think I will stick with the OC Gold.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ever found anything there even after Sandy.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok nice article about a kid who found a rare coin on a beach about 15 MILES south of coin beach.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I did t realize you we're trying to make a joke. I myself sometimes have a difficult time projecting my sarcasm in print.
I have a house half way between Ocean City MD and Coin Beach. I have hunted Fenewick Island and Bethany Beach along with both the previously mentioned beaches. You would be shocked to know the difference in the structural make up of the sand on these 4 beaches. This is why I answered the way I did.
Just for those who are interested here is what I feel is the differences of the 4 beaches running from north to south

Coin beach north of Indian river - sandy quick slope into water few shells, little trash but when you do fins trash it will be a large 2-20 piece iron. Big tidal changes relative to rest of area

Bethany beach. Lots of gravel in the beach moderately hard packed medium trash during season. Condensed area of finds. Multiple replenishments since 2000

Fenewick island. More shells relative to any other local area. Few finds sandy gentle slope to water. Little trash

Ocean City crowded during season especially as you get closer to the pier also get trashier as you get closer to pier how ever the finds increase. During the season the city scrapes the beaches on a routine basis collecting trash and a lot of finds. Try to get out before they do. Fluffy sandy because of grooming and a constantly changing slope near water line. Very expansive dry sand area near boardwalk

Myself I have had my best luck in OC if you want to go to Coin Beach, knock yourself out. There are over 2000 other shipwrecks along the Delmarva shore if you do your research you can find some close to shore

Happy hunting and good luck

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't this kid's find stir some debate?
Nope, were not from Jersey.....:laughing7:

And your right about not trying hard enough, think I was there for 2 hours, seen at least 25 hunters...Just a nice day out detecting and loading video...

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OBN, two hours is hard enough in my book!!

I think the controversy, if it can be called that, was that this coin was an eyeball find at a time when that area was extremely sanded in. Also some talk about finding it in the dune line off limits to detectorist etc etc. Hey the kid had a fun day at the beach, let it go!!!!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, it was more a recon mission...But not to knock the place, Gold is my thing and I want to be where my chances are better for finding it.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaarrrgghh!!!!! Me likes the Ggooollllld too!!!!

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:

I think the controversy, if it can be called that, was that this coin was an eyeball find at a time when that area was extremely sanded in. Also some talk about finding it in the dune line off limits to detectorist etc etc. Hey the kid had a fun day at the beach, let it go!!!!!

It's possible she found it up in the dunes. When I was about 10 years old I found a nice 1700's copper coin just laying on the top of the sand back behind the first dune at Coin Beach. I later lost it because I had it in my shirt pocket and it fell out. A few years later I found a few more laying on top in the wet sand. I still have those. ~John

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Not that I mind finding gold, I actually get more satisfaction out of finding old coins.

Last year I was hunting the towel line on an out of season beach when a guy whose family I was hunting near asked me what i was looking for. I told him old coins. I then told him that there were hundred year old coins on the beach. He looked at me in disbelief and said something like "yeah, if you say so" I then resumed hunting and as if on cue the machine sounded off. I was less than 20 feet from the guy. I started digging as he and his family watched. I shook out the scoop and then walked over to the guy, I picked out the 1912 Barber Dime and handed it to him, saying the last person to hold that dime was on this beach 80, or 90 years ago sitting right where you're sitting when they lost it. (yes I know the dime could have moved a mile) He looked at the dime, and then me and then my GT and asked 'How much does one of those things cost?' He said he was amazed. And, so am I every time i pull one of these old coins off the beach. Good Stuff!!!!

Last edited:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn I just LOVE when that happens

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Damn I just LOVE when that happens

Well, that's the only time it's ever happened to me.

That Barber, which looked like it had been minted yesterday, was the only silver coin I found that day and the last I found on that beach since. But, with Sandy, silver's been popping up so hope springs eternal!!!

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
little girl coin

Ok nice article about a kid who found a rare coin on a beach about 15 MILES south of coin beach.

that copper coin was not found in fenwick.... but it was an eyeball find down at assateaque island... they were afraid they would get in trouble for removing it from assateaque.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand their concern....

After all isn't part of the fine for using a detector on the island is you lose your detector. What are they gonna do take the kids arm or her eye. Just kidding

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
I can understand their concern....

After all isn't part of the fine for using a detector on the island is you lose your detector. What are they gonna do take the kids arm or her eye. Just kidding

heres the one i got after sandy

Attachments

• DSC00013 (Small).JPG
    DSC00013 (Small).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 109

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't hunt there today but I drove over the IR bridge and I have to say I have never seen that beach so flat. I just could not convince my wile to drop me off. It didn't help that my ExcaliburII was 95 miles away either! I'm telling you the south end looked like a sinking ship

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread