Coin Cleaning Help

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
Hi All,

I went metal detecting at an old park today and I found four old coins. I can definately tell that one is an indian head penny. But, I can't see the date. We also found a 1919 Mercury dime.

I want to clean them but don't know what to do - I want to see what the others two are and to try to date the indian head.

Any help would be much appreciated. I never expected to find anything worth while - but, I may have just proved myself wrong...

Thanks...

Jade

OP
OP
jadewhiskey

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
Here are the coins:

I have read about the potato trick - but, does that work on bronze?

coins%20001.jpg

coins%20002.jpg

coins%20003.jpg

Thanks. What is your take on electrolysis and are there anyone in NH who is willing to share? (Sorry, I am new at this and not sure how the electrolysis works).

Jade

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Try soaking the silver in ammonia for 5 to 10 seconds. Then rinse very thoroughly and wipe clean with a soft, lint-free, cotton towel. Don't dab or pat (to prevent spotting), but gently gently gently rub dry. Air dry for a while. Should remove fingerprints, dirt, grime, etc.

For copper/bronze, try mild soap and water. Any other chemical will change the color. As a general rule of thumb, be very careful what you expose copper/bronze to. Copper is highly chemically reactive, and there is no way to regain it's original color once it's gone. The pototo trick works ok, but depends upon what kind of dirt is on the copper. If you don't care about the look, try stirring in the copper with vinegar and salt.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you must clean up coppers - I soak mine in distilled water and twice a day give a gentle clean with a soft toothbrush. For stubborn dirt deposits you can gently use the end of a wood toothpick. This can take days/weeks.

Before and after:

Attachments

• 1867penny.JPG
    1867penny.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 377
  • Brittania.JPG
    Brittania.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 1867penny.JPG
    1867penny.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 374
  • Brittania.JPG