Coin Cleaning Question

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The past 4 months on 3 different outings I have found some Indian Heads that defy being cleaned up.
The first is a 1889 that I found last week. I have been using distilled water soaks and Dawn and soft bristle toothbrush. But the more calcified ( or whatever it is) is really stubborn. Dont want to be to aggressive as it has a beautiful turquoise patina.
IMG_0029.JPG
What should I do.

The second is a 1890 that I found in a Coal Boom town south of me by 10 miles. It is coated with a layer of coal dust deposit and is also a Major challenge.
It has a Black patina that I dont want to loose either.
IMG_0030.JPG

The third is in the worst shape. It is a 1903 that the date crumpled off of washing the dirt off after I got home from hunting.
IMG_0031.JPG

The funny thing is the minerals in the dirt in this county can change drastically in a couple 100 feet.
The 03 and 89 where only a 1/2 mile or so apart.
Any cleaning techniques short of a steel brush or Hot peroxide bath will be entertained. Peroxide is a goto for me with coins that are not as old or in better shape and I have used it before.
But Im afraid these will loose to much of what I want to keep if I use that.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After awhile, you'll learn to love 'em with the patina, and not clean 'em.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've answered 2 of your questions.
1 & 2, leave as is. Both patinas' are wonderful.
Tha 1903 ain't worth nuthin', so clean at will. Heck try muriatic acid, tumbling, sandblasting, etc.
GL
Peace ✌
P.S. Disregard every word I just said. I once nearly exploded a microwave attempting to clean coins. ;)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have often wondered if the crust could be blasted off using a power washer. Would the water pressure of 1500psi affect the coin?

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont believe that more deposits can not be removed while leaving the patina behind.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the high alkali in some of our area; my IHP have literally peeled apart after trying to clean them. Olive Oil for long periods of time!!!!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Place the coins in Acetone to arrest (stop) the verdigris (the green stuff on the coins) from continuing to grow and further damage the coins. Acetone removes the moisture which verdigris needs to continue to grow! Next, rinse the coins with water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel, then place them in Extra Virgin Olive Oil(**) for several weeks up to several months. Remove the coins every week or so to see if any or all of the verdigris and/or dirt, grime and encrustations on them can be removed. With the coins still coated in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, lightly go over them with a green Rose Thorn to remove the above. If some of it is stubborn and won't come off at the time, place the coin or coins back into the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and repeat the above. Once you are satisfied and certain that no more verdigris, dirt, grime and/or encrustation will come off, then rinse the coins with water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel, let air dry for several hours, then place them in 2x2 protective coin holders.

(**) Note: Some folks prefer to place Copper coin in Mineral Oil as Extra Virgin Olive Oil can darken Copper coins if left in it too long. However, I know from experience that Mineral Oil does not have the same ability to loosen verdigris, dirt, grime and/or encrustations on Copper coins as it lacks the slight acidity that Extra Virgin Olive Oil has!

Frank

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know ill get some flak for this but oh well. If it is not a key date coin, I put them in my rock tumbler with aquarium gravel, water, and dish soap. That cleans them up real nice.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know ill get some flak for this but oh well. If it is not a key date coin, I put them in my rock tumbler with aquarium gravel, water, and dish soap. That cleans them up real nice.

no flak from me...I do the same thing.If its not for sale but I like it...in the tunbler it goes..:occasion14:

dgrs2

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a sonic jewelry cleaner with very hot H2O2. I'll run three coins at a time for approx one hour. Take them out every 10 min and use a wooden tooth pick to rub and loosen any debris. It will remove the patina and leave a very nice coin.

https://youtu.be/JVArjyo6gME[URL] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgrs2

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a sonic jewelry cleaner with very hot H2O2. I'll run three coins at a time for approx one hour. Take them out every 10 min and use a wooden tooth pick to rub and loosen any debris. It will remove the patina and leave a very nice coin.

https://youtu.be/JVArjyo6gME[URL] ...ouTube? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
i tried the tonic,excuse me soda called seirra mist for a short period of time and then mineral oil.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the cleaning and preservation section. There are tons of ideas with examples shown. I had a totally crusted I.H and kept it in a solution of warm peroxide in a glass heated by a light bulb. It did turn the coin black but every detail showed up perfect. It was either that or have an unrecognizable item.
Check out cleaning and preservation or use the custom google search tool bar just for t-net
Good luck!
Oh yeah be sure and post your results :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions