Coin Cleaning

Whsprwmn

Aug 31, 2012
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very new to metal detecting. I found my 1st coin in my backyard, a newer dime. My problem is I have tried to clean it with baking soda without much success. I then made my own electrolysis device using a phone charger. It works great, but the "rust" is not coming off as quickly as I thought. It is still quite rusty. I don't want to ruin it. Any advice?

Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Whsprwmn said:
I am very new to metal detecting. I found my 1st coin in my backyard, a newer dime. My problem is I have tried to clean it with baking soda without much success. I then made my own electrolysis device using a phone charger. It works great, but the "rust" is not coming off as quickly as I thought. It is still quite rusty. I don't want to ruin it. Any advice?

Spend it at your nearest store.

OP
OP
W

Whsprwmn

Aug 31, 2012
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice, but I want to keep this one. I also want to learn what to do with this type of problem.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter what you do, you really wont take away its value. Oxidized nickle is very very difficult to polish out to make look new, and impossible to do if you want to keep the details, especially on old nickels like shield nickels and v nickels and even buffs. They take a beating like the copper coins up here in the acid rain belt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With modern coins, just run them through a rock tumbler to clean them up good enough to spend. For coins you want to keep, it will depend on the coin and what type of deposit is attached to the coin. Look in the "Clean and Preserve" forum for details.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread