Coin collecting question

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long time ago (15-20 years) before I went off to college I started collecting coins and joined a monthly club. I payed a certain amount per month and they selected the coins to be mailed. Are there still any places like this around and are they reputable? Unfortunately during college, being short on cash and brains I sold my collection.

Shane

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are still around but IMHO they really aren't worth it. It is just a scheme that allows them to get rid of lots of low grade, low cost common stuff that every coin shop has tons of.

Having said that if you have a specific series and grade of coin you want to collect there are some of the large coin dealers who will work with you.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the "club" Littleton? I agree with the last reponse. You can get better deals at ebay and lurking internet coins forums.

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
capndan151 said:
Total rip. huge mark-up for sub standard coins. Avoid like the plague.
a few months back, i got a package from littleton with a 2003 silver eagle in it. they wanted me either to buy it or send it back. >:( called them and they told me forget about it and keep the coin! ;D ;D ;D one ounce of free silver! that was nice! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions