Coin condition tells a story

C

CaptainZossima

I'm a little suspicious lately. I've recovered many coins and one single oxidized silver coin in a clay shard. Recently I had opportunity to talk to other 'hobbyist' using metal detectors. Unanimously the verdict is: If the coins, reales,artifacts are silver and are NOT significantly oxidized ie black, perhaps crumbly, and otherwise un-recognizable...they came from...you guessed it...the dunes.
Whoever saw a spanish coin come out of the sea...in great conditon? Or maybe just a little green? The consensus seems to be the hurricanes blow coins out of the dunes. Period. Recent televised coins seemed awefully good to have been tossed up from the sea floor.I'm getting the idea that much treasure that is to be found is not beneath the salty water of our shores. But somewhere higher where fresh water limits weatherization etc.? ???Well? Who wants to offer 'hints' about the reality of beachcombing? Out to sea, Cap Zossima.

Upvote 0
D

Dragon

I have to agree. I have found civil war era coins in the Everglades that look like they were just struck from the mint...Must be the freash water? Although alot of tannic acid in the "River of grass" ???

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have seen pictures of coins that have come out of the dunes and they were usually black, but not corroded to green by salt water. The recent TV pictures of the found coins that were nice and shiny made me wonder as to if the story was fabricated. Some people will do anything to get on tv or in the news. I remember finding coins in the desert that were in the ground for about 120 years and unless they were near roots, they had little corrosion. The mineralization has much to do with it, and roots tend to hold the minerals and moisture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread