Coin depth question 2

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see discussions over how deep coins are found. For the sake of common measurements, how do you measure the depth of the items? Are you going by your detector reading (typically a few inches above ground) or actual depth from ground surface?

Personally I think it should strictly be measured from the surface, not the detector.

Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
Jimbog said:
actual depth from ground surface

:thumbsup:

With the heat we're having this year, if I have to stick the shovel in the hole more than twice, it's at least 12". :D

Ground surface or it doesn't count. :wink:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the surface down. Plus with the digger blade.....Matt

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging from the posts of some of the depths I've seen claimed.....some people measure from their elbow :sign10:

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I took my beach scoop handle and put a scale on it with a magic marker.
Then I stick it in the recovery hole and read to the ground surface.
I am surprised at Garret Ace users who claim more depth than my
Infinium. How do they measure depth?
Rich

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worse the detector pinpoints the more depth can be claimed. The Ace is a typical example as the pinpoint goes further off the deeper the target is. They dig past the target, it falls down the hole and magically they have a depth monster of a machine.
I've had dozens going home from my in ground test beds disappointed.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hmmm...
ditto all!
Deepest coin dug, LC-14 inches. Definitely the exception, not the rule. I've pulled half a dozen quarters from 12". Soft, finely particulated soil very dry. A couple wheats at 10-11" Dimes, practically none past 8", though a few may have been close to 9". Those were with CZ's.

It has ALWAYS been the case with me that the deepest targets came in bone dry soil. Since it takes a LOT of rain to saturate the ground very far past the grass, most wet ground, it would seem, would be most helpful in masking deeper targets that are in the drier ground beneath.

I've had the experience of those 20" coins, in sand where they kept falling through the scoop and I kept digging deeper... Either that or they were next to the beer cans I pulled out first.

jwelch66

May 4, 2010
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-70 pro Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my digging tool to measure the depth. I never even look at the detector I go by sound. This last weekend I had a new experience. With all the rain we had, there was alot of standing water on black soil. Coins 10" deep sounded like they were right on top the ground.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Jimbog said:
I see discussions over how deep coins are found. For the sake of common measurements, how do you measure the depth of the items? Are you going by your detector reading (typically a few inches above ground) or actual depth from ground surface?

Personally I think it should strictly be measured from the surface, not the detector.
I'm used to scrubbing the grass. So not much difference between the detector and the target.

As for estimating depth, I use an 8-inch screwdriver for ALL recoveries, with the exception of potential gold coins. Half the shaft is 4 inches. When the shaft hits something, I but my finger on the shaft next to the ground and pull backwards. Lets you know where and how deep you need to excavate.

If I can see when I've been, I've done a bad job. There should be barely any indication of digging.

Not big on cutting plugs, as they turn brown quickly and make an area look pockmarked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread