Coin display case

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I have a favorite haunt where I do alot of my detecting. I've found alot of old coins there and would like to display them. I want to make some kind of case/shadowbox that can be mounted/ hung on the wall. Does anyone have a pic of such a case? How do you attach the coins? I dont want to damage them w/ glue, plus I may want to retrieve one occasionally to look at. I also have some old pics and souvenirs that I would also like to incorporate into the display. Ideas?
I had thought of taking a piece of wood and drilling 1/8" deep holes in it w/ different size forstner bits to stick the coins into. Kinda how the Whitman blue books are, but not that tight. Might that work?

thanx for any help....

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
wain,
Here are some display cases of different sizes that would solve your problem.
The first three are made of cardboard with glass fronts. There are slabs of foamy stuff inside that the coin or object can sink into to stay in place. Pins on the sides of the cases hold everything together. I bought mine at a rock and jewelry shop. They cost from $5 to $15 or so. The fourth one is made out of wood and glass, but the principle is the same. Pressure holds the items in place. Ordered it from some mail order catalogue place for $25, I think.
Bob

Display cases 002.jpg

Display cases 001.jpg

Display cases 003.jpg

Display cases.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be best to buy one. Most wood contains acid that is damaging to coins, some woods more than others. Most paper that is not made for coins can also be damaging, the sulphur in hte paper will darken the coins.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The foam would probably hold them to the glass tighter. I tried with cotton, and they slid down in time.

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Wain, how many coins do you have for the display. Reason for asking is I am working on some ideas for a coin display case also. Wish it were for found coins like you but no fat chance here. The coins I want to display are ones I want in air tight holders. So my plan is to get 2x2" plastic air tight holders and set them into a cherry backround.

My other idea was to take a peice of 1/8" plexiglass and bore out a hole the size of the coin. After the boring is done you can paint the plexi any color you want if you want to. Becuase I may want to view both sides, I can then take two other peices of plexiglas and make a front and back attaching them to the middle plate with fine cone head screws. Then if you want to you could make or buy a frame to go around the outside.

If I go this route, I would probably purchase two frames the size I need and work around them. Make the flexiglas portion to the frame and sandwich it all together using the frames. With your wood working ability making it would be a peice of cake. For me it coming up with the idea. Let me know what you come up with...tink

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread