COIN DISPOSAL

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
A 10% solution? How do you salt water hunters dispose of all those pitted. encrusted and discoloured no special value coins you dig up. When I returned from Florida last year I had a couple handfuls of above mentioned coins. I had no time or interest in using electrolysis on each coin other than the cob which really wasn't a cob.

I just bathed the lot in a shallow solution of CLR which eliminated some of the salt but many were still pitted and some so dark in colour they were hard to distinguish the coinage, but many of them were American coins and of course I had pulled out any silver coins or recent good condition coins I had found. To try and cash them in at a store or business would have raised a few eyebrows and I wasn't sure if our banks would take US coins in that condition, I had found a few Canadian coins down there as well.

I just tossed them in a can and forgot about them. Then the other day while walking out of a large food store here, I noticed a " cash in your coins vending machine " and a bell went off in my head, and I wondered how many of my corroded coins it would take ? I didn't care that the mach would take 10% of the total. I was amazed when I did try it. Out of a couple of hand fulls of coins it only rejected 12 of them and I cashed in a voucher of $28 and change towards the groceries I was buying .

Of course this was just a 1 time venture and I suspect if you were going to use these machines on a continuing basis, you would have to move around and find different ones lol .

Upvote 0

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I took my crusty pennies to a coinstar machine, it got clogged and the manager came over and was all confused by the horrible condition. He didn't seem to care and asked if I cleaned places where people throw change...

I take all my pennies there now, I am to lazy to roll them. Any other coins I roll and take to the bank.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take all my bad money to a Federal reserve Bank and exchange them. They will give you nice shiny ones.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clogged the machine also. After 3 times, I just apologized and left :crybaby2:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tumble all my low value coins in sand + water in my rock tumbler and take the results to the FREE coin machine at the credit union. NEVER use something like a coinstar that takes money for the privilege.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tumble all my low value coins in sand + water in my rock tumbler and take the results to the FREE coin machine at the credit union. NEVER use something like a coinstar that takes money for the privilege.

Coinstars now let you turn in your money for gift cards to places like ITunes, Amazon, Sears and Home Depot, without any fee.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is that better than cash money? Are the gift cards for a greater amount than what you put in?
I could go for that.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
I get a lot of rejected coins from coinstar even when they're tumbled.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK you guys correct me if I am wrong.

I believe all banks are required by law to exchange any and all damaged currency, including paper money up to a certain amount, some may require you to have an acct there though.

I know I haven't had any problems turning in bad coins in the past, I tumble them then turn them in as coinstars will not accept them.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sleep, I have had a bank + a credit union refuse coins and currency but both stated that the stuff had to be sent to the Mint. They both happily provided the address.

I just pass the bad coins 1 or 2 at a time when they wont go thru the coin machine.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tumbled all my clad recently and rolled nickles and above to turn in at my bank. Someone is going to get some weird ugly gray coins! But the pennies even after tumbling still were pitted and eaten away by salt. I ran what I could through the Coinstar and took home around 50 corroded pennies to try to spend or cash in sometime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread