coin grading question

snakeguy

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2009
where is the best place to send coins to have graded? Was looking at a few of my grandmothers old coins that were my grandfathers and found 1928 half penny and a 1888 8 over 7 IH penny. would like to have them graded. thanks for the help not sure if this is the right place to post so mods feel free to move to the right place thanks. :help:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
PCGS will charge you $20/coin (provided you pay the $200 membership fee, and might be higher now) for grading each coin. They may also "decline" to grade them. Be sure to take your coins to a reputable coin dealer for their opinion on the value/condition before sending to PCGS. Let's take a 1932 quarter in Very Fine condition for example. Why pay $20 to have this coin graded, when the coin isn't worth $20? Send coins for certification/grading only where the charge will greatly increase the probable return from the coin.

The last one I sent to PCGS (1909S VDB cent) was returned without grade, marked "authentic, surface altered." That particular coin has been often counterfeited, so having the coin confirmed as "authentic" was worth the $20 to me. Coin later sold for $710, which probably would not have happened without the PCGS appelation/authentication. "Surface altered" was due to tape residue used to keep the coin in place for over 50 years. While the tape residue was easily removed with acetone, the coin retained a splotchy appearance after cleaning. That appearance was enough for PCGS not to grade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread