Upvote 0

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes about the cleaning. When a coin sits in the ground for many years, the fine scratches that are made does look like it has been cleaned. I must admit, I am surprised that they graded the coin AU53. There looks to be a little more wear at the leg and head for that. I too have a 1917 SL quarter at about the same grade. I guess mine is a better grade then I had thought. Still, to me, these quarters are one of the nicest looking coins produced in the 20th century, when they are in the top grades. GREAT find!

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
You know, a lot of people say that, but they were still circulating in my younger days (early 60's) and I just didn't like them, walking halves, or Franklins, or Peace. Mercs were cool, buffalos and Morgans. Perhaps it was because they were very worn and just boring by that point. Kennedy's were way cool, and the eagle on the back, RAMPANT! Take that, peace dollar.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bofusmosby said:
Yes about the cleaning. When a coin sits in the ground for many years, the fine scratches that are made does look like it has been cleaned. I must admit, I am surprised that they graded the coin AU53. There looks to be a little more wear at the leg and head for that. I too have a 1917 SL quarter at about the same grade. I guess mine is a better grade then I had thought. Still, to me, these quarters are one of the nicest looking coins produced in the 20th century, when they are in the top grades. GREAT find!
I agree with this assumption. AU 53 is a little high in my opinion, especially with the wear I see on the date. Personally, I see it at VF-40. JMO I have sent many coins in for grading to ANACS and PCGS. My personal best was an 1859 Seated Quarter at VF-45, which I thought would make AU no problem. Congrats. Hogge

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree... AU 53 is an OVERGRADE. VF30 MAX, and that is what this coin would bring at auction.

"Unless It came with the statement "week Strike"" this is testement as to why PCGS and ANNCS do not bring full dollar amounts at auction. AS a general rule of thumb... Exceptions do apply>

Here is a "true EF40" "trace of wear" By ICCS.

Attachments

• 435-r.jpg
    435-r.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 295

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
First of all, fantastic looking coin, one of my favorite designs although I never seem to find many. :dontknow:

I absolutely agree with the AU-53 grade, think they got it exactly right..... :icon_thumleft:

The detail of her head, hair and toes puts it correctly at this grade. That is not wear you see on the date, merely a soft strike of the upper part of the date as a lot of metal needs to flow into the step she is standing on and it's very common to see a soft date strike from years 1916-1924.

Just a great dug coin, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

HH all!

Greg

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
I agree... AU 53 is an OVERGRADE. VF30 MAX, and that is what this coin would bring at auction.

With all due respect Rick, just curious as to how in the world do you come up with VF-30 MAX?? :dontknow:

Did one of the top 3 grading companies make a 23 point grading error?

HH all!

Greg

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:

"Unless It came with the statement "week Strike"" this is testement as to why PCGS and ANNCS do not bring full dollar amounts at auction. AS a general rule of thumb... Exceptions do apply>

Here is a "true EF40" "trace of wear" By ICCS.
For what it's worth, PCGS and NGC are the only 2 top tier grading companies that carry ANY weight. Many dealers are against the grading companies, but for sight unseen buying, PCGS and NGC are the only 2 that matter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions