Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some call a FIDO a coin with a mint error.

AU stands for "Almost Uncirculated." It represents numeric grades 50-59 (70 being perfect in every way), or just below uncirculated.

BU stands for "Brilliant Uncirculated." In general this description is discouraged in light of numeric grading, as BU is really in the eyes of the beholder. Some feel that BU should be reserved for MS-65 or better, while others will include all the mint-state grades (60-69) under the term.

In General
AU (About Uncirculated) is the grade between XF (Extra Fine) and UNC (Uncirculated). AU graded coins will have just the lightest touch of wear on only the high points of the coin's design.

BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) coins, for the most part, are called that to avoid assigning a specific numeric grade -- to let the buyer determine their own grade. In general, you will find these coins to grade in the MS-60 to MS-63 range.

Don...

Source: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache..._coin+AU+BU&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

OP
OP
baylorhall

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic response! Thanks so much for your help. I couldn't find Fido in my red book and was confused with the AU and BU.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions