Coin locket!

rustydigger

Aug 11, 2010
central jersey
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, bounty hunter tracker IV, whites bullseye II pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got permission to hunt a property settled in the mid 1700's. The house is still standing but very overgrown and lots of ticks. I started hunting the yards and fields last friday and so far I've dug A LOT of iron. The property next door has been gone for a long time and is now all woods. I've found quite a bit but this was worth posting right away I have never seen one of these. The rest I will post after a few more hunts.

Attachments

• coin locket2.jpg
    coin locket2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 186
  • coin locket.jpg
    coin locket.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what it is? Perhaps a makeup case? I think like you have a very promising site to return to! I think I smell some old silver! Sounds like your tic problem is pretty fierce out there! Glad I don't have to deal with that out here on the left coast!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what it is? Perhaps a makeup case? I think like you have a very promising site to return to! I think I smell some old silver! Sounds like your tic problem is pretty fierce out there! Glad I don't have to deal with that out here on the left coast!

it is as rusty said, a 'coin locket' of sorts.... a small carrying case with spring loaded holders to insert coins and later dispense them. some people also used them in the bigger cities for carrying their transit tokens. cool find. would have been awesome with some coins left in it

OP
OP
rustydigger

rustydigger

Aug 11, 2010
central jersey
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, bounty hunter tracker IV, whites bullseye II pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The springs still work too I could'nt wait to get it home and cleaned praying it was loaded with coins lol

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, don't think I have seen one of those dug here before!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Rusty, That looks very similar to some pictures I saw in a magazine article about British coins known as a Sovereign. Too bad it wasn't loaded up with some gold coins eh?

CARM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread