Coin machine count...

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anything over 5$ i'll say something. Just the other day, I dropped off 170$ in halves at a TD bank. During the bag change, the machine's screen malfunctioned. The CR that helped me hit the power switch on the side. In the end, I got a ticket saying 111$. feeling something was not right, during the cash out i told the teller that I feel like it should have been more and could she check the machine? She was nice about it and went and checked the reject and did a audit of the machine. Printing out the transactions, checked the last two transaction and there was a 59$ transaction just three minutes before my final ticket. She did her thing and gave me all my money. My best advise, if you feel/know the machine shorted you. Bring it up in a nice way, dont go yelling and demanding that you get your money back. Chances are the employees are more that willing to help you.

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anything over 5$ i'll say something. Just the other day, I dropped off 170$ in halves at a TD bank. During the bag change, the machine's screen malfunctioned. The CR that helped me hit the power switch on the side. In the end, I got a ticket saying 111$. feeling something was not right, during the cash out i told the teller that I feel like it should have been more and could she check the machine? She was nice about it and went and checked the reject and did a audit of the machine. Printing out the transactions, checked the last two transaction and there was a 59$ transaction just three minutes before my final ticket. She did her thing and gave me all my money. My best advise, if you feel/know the machine shorted you. Bring it up in a nice way, dont go yelling and demanding that you get your money back. Chances are the employees are more that willing to help you.

I like ur advise... TY..

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten $ back on larger errors ($40 or so), I usually let the couple bucks here or there slide. Mostly if you pour it slowly enough it won't make as many errors.

This one bank near me has a machine that is so off I usually avoid it. I forgot and ran coin today, and it ran $1.30 in dimes as pennies and nickels.

I told them "Your machine is off on the count again, you should clean the sensors or have the guy calibrate it next time he's in."

They said "Those must have been coins from the previous customer."

I said "No, I know almost exactly what should be in there, and if you look, I only ran dimes, so these are definitely miscounted, that's why it comes out to $748 and some change instead of a round $750. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but you need to know and report if the machine is miscounting so it doesn't keep happening."

Of course, my favorite was a year or so ago, when I asked a different bank if I could buy a bag. I said up front "I know it may be off, I take all risk and will pay the estimated value and not come back and complain if it is off."

Their response?

"We won't sell bags, because when they're off, they're usually in our favor."

Well, isn't that classy.

It's fine if you don't want to sell bags as a policy, but literally nickel and diming your account holders?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pour in known increments and watch the total as you feed it. Let the amount "settle" between pours. If it's not tracking right, then stop; end the transaction; and take your payout.

Decide whether to let them know or not depending on your relationship, but forget the small loss.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never had a problem. I make sure I dump a straight denomination, then take my machine receipt to the teller. They recount later and credit my account for the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread