Coin Machine Hunting Question/Roll Ordering Question

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard people refer to coin hunting the CoinStar type machines. How is this done? The machines up here, you put your coins in and get a receipt that you take to the cashier (99% of machines are in grocery stores) and they give you bills. Am I missing something?

Local banks and CUs won't even order any halves, regardless of account or not. Told I would have to go to Boston banks for them. Called a few banks (large and small) and they said no, they don't order ANY rolled coins. How do businesses get their rolled coins then? Am I asking the wrong way? It's ironic - the Fed. Reserve Bank is in Boston! Wouldn't you think there would be lots of rolls available up here? Haven't tried for any other denominations yet, just halves. Oh, I did try for dollar coin rolls - no, nope, nil, nada. Must go to Boston for these (sound familiar????)

Would like to CRH halves, only place I can find them are at local coin shows...wanna bet the dealers have already gone through them and taken out the silver and good dates?

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

PS - I have read the post for new coin roll hunters and couldn't find answers to these questions.

Upvote 0

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people "search" coin star they look at the reject tray. And banks should coins, most won't have half dollars and large dollars are very hard to come by. You may be able to buy boxes of pennies, nickels, dimes or quarters. I'm guessing your in new England.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AC, businesses don't use halves. You should easily be able to get dimes, nickels and cents. Quarters too but don't bother with those. I can relate to your frustration, not being able to get halves as I had the same problem. I have tried all the banks I have accounts with but none can order me halves so I have been just picking up whatever cwr and loose, that I can find. One bank I regularly hit up, which has the friendliest tellers, had about 10 rolls or so one day and the head teller was so happy to be rid of them. The next week I went in and they had no halves so I asked about dimes and nickels. Teller I'm dealing with asked if I have an account. Here we go, I think, they are going to tell me to drag it. But she asked head teller if she can sell to me and head teller says, "this is the guy that comes in here all the time and took all those halves off our hands. Yes it's ok. " Cool. So I picked up dimes and nickels from them several times and they are just so nice to me I love going there. One day the head teller even wished me happy hunting! Then one day it occurred to me to ask, if I had an account, could they order me halves? Yes, HT says. Opened account on the spot and getting 2 boxes next week. AC, my advice to you is don't give up. Keep searching. This bank only has one branch in my town so I didn't consider them when setting up pick up banks but I'm pretty happy now I'll get boxes of halves to search. HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If your bank does not order rolled coin, they may be receiving enough from customers to handle their needs. Ask if you can buy their surplus. Shop around. I have several businesses in my area that use half dollars, for what, I don't know. They return enough to the banks to give me rolls of halves periodically.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fistfulladirt said:
If your bank does not order rolled coin, they may be receiving enough from customers to handle their needs. Ask if you can buy their surplus. Shop around. I have several businesses in my area that use half dollars, for what, I don't know. They return enough to the banks to give me rolls of halves periodically.

I'm thinking people probably spend the halves at the business and from there, they make it to the bank. At a small convenience store near my house, I made a purchase and noticed halves in the drawer. I asked to buy them and was told no, the store owner saves them. I tend to dump a lot of clad on that store now. :)
HH

OP
OP
AC1955

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am in new Hampshire.

Will check the trays at the machines.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread