Coin or Metal Identification

MadzMom

Sep 30, 2014
Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Front of coin.jpg We own a 200+ year old farm house that was once part of the underground railroad in PA. We always find bottles, marbles, old stuff, pottery pieces, and metal whenever we dig. We recently had a pool put in and found TONS of stuff, however, we found a coin/metal/medallion of some type which we have been unable to identify. It is very worn so we can't see it fully. It appears silver in color but is not very heavy. I can not tell if the sides are layered or not. I am not able to attach photos now. Front of coin appears to be a face, 25 (not denomination???), and William McKinley (written across bottom under face). Back of coin is all wording, some unreadable "war...con...and government...over...exations...our welfare as result of war with spain". The size is slightly larger than a US quarter. Thanks for helpi Coin Back.jpg ng!!

Last edited:

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were base metal medalets (about quarter size) honoring each of the US Presidents in the mid 1900s... I believe a gas station put them out as a promotion. The edge lettering on yours looks a little older style though, so it could be WIlliam McKinley era medalet honoring him

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cracker Jack also put them out

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Assuming the medal I referenced is the same as the OP posted, it was minted during the period 1920-1947 by the Osborne Registry Company who, in 1947 changed its name to the Osborne Coinage Registry Company. BTW, the company is the oldest private mint in the USA ((1835).
Don.........

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread