Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So on a detecting group I'm part of on Facebook I made the comment tonight that another poster could put a coin she found in some hot peroxide to clean it up a bit to try to identify it. Another user chimed in and said he has it on record from "experts who have seen it happen" that if you put a coin that happens to have a "crack" in it in hot peroxide (which was later changed to "any hot liquid") it will cause the coin to expand and explode. I call EXTREME BS here, but I'll throw this out there anyway.... anybody else ever hear that? Simple knowledge of science tells me that won't happen....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I very much doubt it. BUT - if they microwaved the H.Peroxide and dropped a coin in they may very well have got a lapfull of hot peroxide.

Same would have happenned with water and a pebble, though, if it is just below boiling temperature.

The peroxide from drugstores is pretty lame and about 97% water. If some bozo got some 28% to 35% food grade or the high concentration peroxide from a lab or plant that uses it concentrated - different story. That will strip your skin off and is nasty stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I very much doubt it. BUT - if they microwaved the H.Peroxide and dropped a coin in they may very well have got a lapfull of hot peroxide.

Same would have happenned with water and a pebble, though, if it is just below boiling temperature.

Right - that's called superheating... if you boil water in the microwave that can happen real easily where it doesn't actually boil til somebody, say, sticks a spoon in it to stir something in. That happens because pure water lacks a "seed" for bubbles to form on until something else is introduced, which I seriously doubt would ever be the case on a dirty coin. I just removed myself from the conversation because it wasn't worth an argument over....lol

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only recently been introduced to cleaning coins/relics with hot/warm HP.
Two members have been gracious enough to give step by step instructions. Both are similar and work well. I heated HP in microwave in small increments. Was advised not to boil, so I didn't.
I surely took/take precautions, as with any hot liquid.
I have viewed stone/rocks "explode" in campfires though.
GL
Peace ✌

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only thing I'm aware of that will cause an Explosion is

Baking soda & Vinegar in a Closed container.

I think the person who said this, just got the ingredients & process mixed up

of course I never tried
coin + peroxide in a Jar with a plastic lid in a Microwave
all at the same time & set for 30 Minutes

Disclaimer : not a Dare :tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coin + peroxide in a Glass in a Microwave
all at the same time & set for 30 Minutes

Also make sure to include an open flame, C4, and gasoline.

Incidentally, regarding your comment about baking soda - I have had this article from The Onion posted on the wall of my classroom for about 5 years now and it never fails to amaze me how gullible high school students are: Science Guy Bill Nye Killed In Massive Vinegar/Baking-Soda Explosion | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also make sure to include an open flame, C4, and gasoline.

Incidentally, regarding your comment about baking soda - I have had this article from The Onion posted on the wall of my classroom for about 5 years now and it never fails to amaze me how gullible high school students are: Science Guy Bill Nye Killed In Massive Vinegar/Baking-Soda Explosion | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
5,000-gallon In-Ground Steel Container to the top with white vinegar and pulled a Giant Red Lever , releasing a dump-truck load of baking soda into the vat.

HaHaHa ! I never read that one.

I wonder what kind of mess that would make :laughing7:

This one is cute & Doesn't Swear so...

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, there are several things that can make surprising little reactions.

As a kid we used to get little tubes of a material called "Bangsite" that, when mixed with water produced acetylene gas. For those little iron cannons you put a pea sized "spoon" in and tipped it into the water & KaBOOM! when you pushed the sparker. But, being kids, a full tube in a garbage can with a gallon of water (like after it rained) and some CVA cannon fuse . . . the whole neighborhood knew when that went off.

Lithium Polymer batteries have opened a whole new world of excitement for homeowners and firemen. Don't charge a LiPo with the NiCad settings on your charger. And those are really cool because they produce their own oxidizer once they take off and water does not extinguish them.

Years ago I was cleaning up a spray gun with Interlux 216 paint thinner (for boat bottom paint). Like a good boy I had cleaned the sprayer outdoors but like a dummy I was cleaning up and wiping out the cleaning can and equipment in my basement. We heat with a wood-burning boiler occasionally but didn't have a fire going at the time. When I got all done I had a couple paper towels with some of the thinner on them and tossed them in the boiler so they wouldn't stink up the basement - which was already pretty stinky from the fumes.

Well, it had been laundry day and my wife had put some of the drier lint in the boiler and, not knowing when we might have a fire again, had burnt it. Apparently embers remained. Just by great good luck I had made it as far as the outside door and opened it before the fireball erupted. I spun around to see black cobwebs falling from the floor joists throughout the basement. The hair was singed on my arms and the back of my head and I was 10 feet from where the furnace door opens - which also happily had swung open rather than blowing out the chimney or boiler. Happily it flashed so quick there was no fire. I checked the can and sure enough it said EXTREMELY VOLATILE in big letters. So if you want to make the world's best Polish Cannon . . .

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Catalase (I think I spelled it right) is an enzyme in blood, that forces hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) to break down into water and oxygen. [2(h2o2)->2(h2o)+o2] whoch causes pressure if contained. This breakdown also occurs naturally, which is why you get a little hiss if you leave a bottle on the shelf for a while.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunlight(UV) will as well. Which is why it comes in dark bottles.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The girl in the video reminded me of a time, in thee middle of the night, I woke with severe stomach acid. Not finding any medicine I could take I went to the kitchen and mixed some baking soda and water, and drank it down. Within seconds my stomach enlarged, I'm on my knees then on my side laying down feeling I was going to explode. After a bit of time things settled down.
I could see this form of street medicine causing real problems. I use Tums's now.
Remember in chemistry class never add bases to acid always add acid to bases.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll stick with soap and a soft tooth brush, I can see Murphy having way too much fun with this! :laughing7:

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
iowa formerly from the south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The over the counter peroxide will not explode although it's never smart to heat up chemicals in microwaves or on stove tops if you don't know what your doing.
Higher then 40% hydrogen peroxides can react with metals and other substances with alot of volatility. Hell there's been a submarine or a ship that's been sunk before due to a extremely high concentrate of peroxide reacting violently.
But again you aren't going to accidently buy 40%+ grade peroxide without knowing what your getting yourself into.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread