coin photographing ??

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I use a cheap Sony Mavica which isn't made anymore. Probably cheap on Feebay and elsewhere. Takes photos and saves them on floppy disks. I know, you don't know what a floppy disk is.

Anyhoo, my camera is a Sony FD Mavica with 10x optical zoom. In almost any light I can get a coin to fill the view finder and snap the picture. May want to use a tripod if you shake much, as shaking will put the image out of focus.

Just my solution.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Macro setting on the camera, natural light is the best. Look at some of the other photos of coins to pick the best background color. Blue & light green seem to work pretty good.

I've seen a few people recommend a book titled "Numismatic Photography" and claim that it's very informative. I saw a few listed on ebay last week averaging about $22. I'm interested in it but haven't purchased it yet.

Take a few practice photos when there's no pressure to get them posted in a thread. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
huricanesrul

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks...i'll give it a try !

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of the image to either side place a white sheet or light cardboard. Then put a piece of paper or white foam in front of the flash. That diffuses the flash and gives even light.

Attachments

• HPIM0096s.JPG
    HPIM0096s.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 247

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nylon works best for a flash diffuser. I never thought about using white paper like that though.

I'll try it, thanks Charlie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread