Coin Popper?

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
I have heard some members mention this device. Does it really work?

I searched on the net to see exactly what it is and found the following site.
http://www.jimmysierra.com/toolsZ.htm

The second picture is a "Plug Popper". Has anyone used one of these? Is it really good?

I have been using a 'Lesche Digger', but that is not so good for plugs.
I had 'Lesche Digger' bent on me a couple of times as i was digging a plug in a lawn, and had to put it back to it's normal shape. It did the job, but it is not as tough as I though it would be.

I have tried using a small shovel, and that seems to work better, but takes time and I am trying to find a way to dig up coins and rings without spending too much time.

HELP!!!! ;)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at the "plug popper" also but seems like most of the ground I did in is hard as cement. I have a "bulb" digger and it isn't worth a tinkers darn at getting into the hard dirt. Let me know if you find something..HH

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Hard ground, you need a Lesche. It's the only one that has never bent or broken on me in hard ground and clay. Coin poppers are great for seeded hunts or parks with shallow targets. Quick and easy.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LuisTH said:
I have been using a 'Lesche Digger', but that is not so good for plugs.
I had 'Lesche Digger' bent on me a couple of times as i was digging a plug in a lawn, and had to put it back to it's normal shape. It did the job, but it is not as tough as I though it would be.

You bent a Lesche?!? One that actually has the name "LESCHE" inside an oval?

lesche.jpg

Mongo impressed!

Your avatar must be the old you before the gym workouts.

I'd have sent it back and switched to a post hole auger on a tractor's PTO.

Canadian Treasure Seekers has some HD trowels. I find with my Lesche if I poke four times on each side of a square I can lever that plug out. 6" in one plug is no problem unless rocks, gravel or roots interfere. In the woods I carry a bricklayer's hammer.

bricklayers_hammer.jpg

Rocks and roots are less of a problem. Also works well for levering out targets but the turf suffers. You won't bend one of these.

OP
OP
LuisTH

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tin Nugget said:
Hard ground, you need a Lesche. It's the only one that has never bent or broken on me in hard ground and clay. Coin poppers are great for seeded hunts or parks with shallow targets. Quick and easy.

You haven't digged on real hard ground then, because my Lesche has bent twice using it in hard ground trying to lever a plug.

OP
OP
LuisTH

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Charlie P. (NY) said:
You bent a Lesche?!? One that actually has the name "LESCHE" inside an oval?

lesche.jpg

Mongo impressed!

Your avatar must be the old you before the gym workouts.

lol. That's not me in the avatar, that's Shakira, one of the choices you can have as an avatar in the forums. I chose her cause she is pretty hot. ;) i'll change my avatar whenever i get a good find.

The name is Luis, which is a latin male name, and yes I bent a leschie, not a real tough thing to do. I bent it trying to lever out the plug I had cut, which actually did lift the plug, but the leschie was bent outwards. I didn't notice until I got the leschie out. I bent it back into shape. There were a lot of roots. I am using a small shovel to lift plugs now, it is a lot tougher than a leschie, and it is not bad for plugs.

The leschie is good to cut through most roots, but i recommend not to try to use it as a lever, and use something else instead.

I will be cutting the plugs, roots and all with the leschie, then using the small shovel to lever out the plug.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's one I had made that has a 1/4" 1095 steel blade and steel tube handle (bottom image). You could pop a coin out of an Abrams tank. Heavy to carry around, though. I guarantee the park groundskeeper won't ask you back if you dig with this tool. Though it pops a nice 4" x 4" x 10" plug. Now I use the Lesche for parks/lawns and a True Temper Drain Spade in the pastures/woods.

049206155800md.jpg

I treat my Lesche more like a knife (in fact, I started out with a Mk1 Marine Fighting Knife clone from Camillus as my digging tool years back). You might want to look into a diving probe (like a HD knife with with a chisel tip (like that second puppy down).

knife.jpg

In fact, for $6 or so, you could get a Stanley Wonder Bar and it might be worth experimenting with as a plug tool. Cheap and tough.
55-515.jpg

You could push it in by foot once started.

Attachments

• Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 251
OP
OP
LuisTH

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info, i will be checking some of those online, or end up just buying the Stanley Wonder Bar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread