Coin popping retrieval with screwdriver

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, best way to retrieve a coin! I have a long skinny screw driver with the end blunted with which I probe for the coin. And if you're doing it correctly, and repeatedly on every single signal, you'll get the "feel" of it, and know whether it is a rock, bottle cap, or coin. When pin pointers were yet to exist, that was the real way of pin pointing where the coin was. To supplement the probe, I had a screwdriver with a bent end. I'd leave my probe on the coin, and then go in from the side with the bent screwdriver and pop the coin right out. A lot less chance of damaging the coin as well. You don't do this like a brute, you gently feel your way into it. It's absolutely great for loam type soils. Rocky soil, it is not so much fun....

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main coin tool is the screwdriver, diggers for other stuff.
A coin gives a metallic tap, cans are usually a softer tap, and rocks usually give a non metallic sound when tapped with the screwdriver.

I would like to make a scooped flat screwdriver and try it, sounds like it works well.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will still do this on shallow targets. Saves a lot of time then digging a plug. This is why it is good to carry a screwdriver on hunts, even if you have a hand digger and shovel.

On deeper targets you can use a brass probe and screwdriver and only pry with the screwdriver. Use the brass probe to feel the target. If you use the brass to pry up the target you will double it over. I know this.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it this way for a long time by using a brass probe to locate the coin, then I would slip my long screwdriver with a slightly bent over edge up beneath the coin and then pull the coin out. It's like magic, and a great method to use on manicured lawns as it does little if any damage, even in hot dry weather. One of my detecting goals this year is to get back to doing this again as I am digging mostly shallow targets right now. I was allowed to hunt a park in Atlanta after demonstrating this to the groundskeeper after he came to run me off. I managed to pop out a clad dime from a few inches down in a very thick turf of grass, and he was impressed to say the least. I was never harassed at that park again, but everybody else trying to detect there was run off by that guy, who never bothered me again and I had a big nice loaded park to hunt all by my lonesome. Cheers!!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watched a guy in his 70s do this at a school.. bought a craftsman 3/16 screw driver and use it all the time if the coin is 3" or less in soft soil. Broke the screw driver in the hard dry ground in august, take back and they replace it.. Worth the $6 it cost and it slides in the standard Lesche sheath with the lesche. Using the TRX the coin is right there.. slid it in, tap it, make a slot front and back, spread a little left and right and pop it out..

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4ID

Thank you for your service my Combat brethren!!! I served with 1ABCT 4ID for two combat tours recently. Thanks for your advice with the screw driver.... God Bless brother!!!!

CW2(P) Colburn, Steve (MD'erStEvO)

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
on turf if my propointer can see it,I too use screwdriver and pop it out.Like already said I can hunt parks and soccer fields with no hassle.I dont even carry a digger in any sensitive area.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps I'd consider on a lawn or parks and such. Screwdrivers or ice picks don't care for the dredged clam shells we have quite a layer of here. Very thoughtful though.
Ray

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Using the screwdriver or probe method works very well for shallow targets (0 - 4"), requires good pin pointing skills and patients. It does take a little time to understand and master, but worth the effort.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've become well adapted to digging a clean plug with a 6"x1/2" screwdriver, as a local park system only permits this type of instrument.
But, as for popping coins with a brass probe and or screwdriver, I'm a complete failure. So much so, I no longer try this extraction method.
The coins I now search for require a Lesche .
GL
Peace ✌

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a video I did some years ago showing coin popping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread