Coin price guide and another question slipped in...

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most things that are collected also seem to have a price guide that is used as "the standard". Is there a book like this for coin collecting? Maybe one almost everyone goes by? I realize not many price guides are completely accurate as the market can change but I would like to get a book or two that covers rare coins and prices. One other question for you coin experts. Are there any rare coins that are recent? I mean for instance like a 2007 that was double struck, I made that up but would appreciate a couple examples, thanks.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The Redbook is the mist widely used coin pricing guide in the community. They have been coming out with a yearly updated version for the past 50 years or so. I personally have 4 of these books from various years. Like you said they do not follow the market perfectly, especially with silver and gold fluctuation. But it is a great guide to go buy.

As for more recent "rare" variety coins. The first that comes to mind is the 1992 close AM cent. There are also several state quarter errors with the priciest being the Wisconsin extra leaf. There are others. I would recommend purchasing the cheery pickers guide. This book outlines many of the errors and varieties of both early and late US coinage.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Redbook is the mist widely used coin pricing guide in the community. They have been coming out with a yearly updated version for the past 50 years or so. I personally have 4 of these books from various years. Like you said they do not follow the market perfectly, especially with silver and gold fluctuation. But it is a great guide to go buy.

As for more recent "rare" variety coins. The first that comes to mind is the 1992 close AM cent. There are also several state quarter errors with the priciest being the Wisconsin extra leaf. There are others. I would recommend purchasing the cheery pickers guide. This book outlines many of the errors and varieties of both early and late US coinage.

Awesome info thanks a bunch. Kind of makes me think twice about dumping my bucket of change at the bank.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only true measure of a coins worth is what someone is willing to pay, the best resources for prices are completed sales. You can get the information from completed sales on eBay, Heritage and many other online auction sites. As for modern collectable coins yes there are literally hundreds if not thousands of collectable modern coin varieties that can be worth serious money. Here is a pretty good reference although no reference is ever entirely complete.

List of the Top 100 Modern Coins

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like there are quite a few recent coins that are worth some bucks. The link you provided is very cool but apparently I used up my free trial clicks that I didn't know I was using.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like there are quite a few recent coins that are worth some bucks. The link you provided is very cool but apparently I used up my free trial clicks that I didn't know I was using.

Lol you can try again tomorrow it resets either everyday or every other day....:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread