Coin Recovery?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i like the lesche predator. its got a sharp edge for cutting sod, a serrated edge for cutting roots, and is really strong for great prying power.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I guess that depends on where you are digging. I carry a screwdriver looking pry bar (screwdriver with bend tip), survivor knife, gator digging tool, and brass probe. Most of the time I use the probe to find the item and and the pry bar to coax it out of the ground through a slit. If that won't work I will cut a hinge with the knife and use the gator tool to get to the coin. If I am in a well maintained park, then I am really careful in all my recover methods as not to damage the turf in any way. If any of us make a mess in a park then everyone one of us sufferer the consequences of being banned from ever detecting there again. So be nice an HH.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Great advice Farmer, make yer holes perty! I am still a bit of a rookie, only 4 months hunting, but I think its amazing, cant figure out how you find & recover a coin with a brass probe or screwdriver! I'd like to tag along a time or two & watch you do it. Planning a trip to Idaho?? lol ;D

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I use a standard garden planter it was made out of cheap metal and it kept bending. I used a hammer and vice and reshaped it then I put a bit of edge on one side of it to saw tree roots. I then took the plastic handle off it and used a propane torch and heated it up to cherry red and dunked it in water to temper it. I put the handle back on and sanded it very smooth. I can slide it in and pry a plug up and grab the coin most of the time. I hear about people using probes or screwdrivers but in my area you can hit rocks at 3-4 inches. I dug a quarter in my yard the other day it was near a rock the size of my fist at just 5 inches. I have to reforge the tip of my planter almost once a week from hitting rocks when I jam it into the ground or tring to pry the rocks out of the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions