Coin Reveals Ancient Rome’s Fight Against Voter Intimidation....

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discusion about coin, not politics.... A seemingly unremarkable silver denarius minted over 2,000 years ago holds key insights into Rome’s political struggles, leading up to Caesar’s assassination and the eventual fall of the Roman Republic.

Discover how Ancient Rome battled voter intimidation in this illuminating piece by David B. Hollander for The Conversation.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman-Republic-Voting.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
More on the coin you presented:
The reverse depicts a voting scene showing two citizens casting their ballots in the Comitium, one being handed his voting tablet by an attendant, screen in background surmounted by marker with initial "P" representing the voting tribe. "P•NERVA" (NE in monogram) across upper part of screen--as seen on a similar coin of better quality.

This is one of the most celebrated types of the Republican coinage which shows the actual voting process in the political assembly of the Roman People of the Comitium, where citizens voted on business presented to them by the magistrates. The area occupied by the Comitium was consecrated ground, like a temple, and was located in front of the senate House in the Forum.
It was C. Licinius Crassus, the tribune, who in 145 BC first brought together the tribes into separate enclosures to vote in the comitia, and in 139 BC the ballot was introduced for the election of magistrates.
Don in SoCal

OP
OP

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "tresviri monetales" were three Roman magistrates responsible for minting bronze, silver, and gold coins.

I never heard of these coins until today.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,

I cant seem to locate the other metal strikes. I wonder if they had the same images?

Michael

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology on Beaumont Street, Oxford, England, is best known for being not only Britain's first public museum but also as a depository of approximately 50,000 Roman coins. The collection is used worldwide as one of the ‘core collections’ for most research projects. If any source would know if the subject coin were made in more than one composition, I would guess it would be them (if you wished to pursue your query).
Don in SoCal

OP
OP

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are 'endless' examples of the same coin, but no mention of the coin being manufactured in another material.
Don.......
Don,

Yes, I've seen this... But truly belive there are others produced in Bronze and Gold. I'll guess we'll have to wait for someone to finds one; or maybe someone has one and doesnt know what they have... I'll search more in my spare time.

Michael

OP
OP

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology on Beaumont Street, Oxford, England, is best known for being not only Britain's first public museum but also as a depository of approximately 50,000 Roman coins. The collection is used worldwide as one of the ‘core collections’ for most research projects. If any source would know if the subject coin were made in more than one composition, I would guess it would be them (if you wished to pursue your query).
Don in SoCal
I will, thanks for info...

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful piece of history/anthropology! :thumbsup:

Another window into Rome's past, like the 11K+ examples of graffiti found at Pompeii. 😲

Don in SoCal

Numismatic Associations, perhaps?

I tried the American Numismatic Society online; they have a joint project with NYU called, Online Coins of the Roman Empire (OCRE) that links to a score of other databases, but they (similar to what's already been mentioned) only cite the coin in Ag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread