Coin Roll Hunting is done! Silver is gone!!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Move on to another form of treasure hunting if you are convinced this one is tapped out. I personally never tried CRH but it seems like a fairly labor intensive form of treasure hunting. As most are. Regardless of what you decide to do, good luck to you.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, every now and again, some lucky crher gets a long lost roll. Usually noticed in a teller tray.
But buying boxes n boxes of any denomination is now fruitless.
C'mon, everybody and their mamma have been doin' this since '64.
If you're happy with an occasional proof, mis-strike, etc., continue.
Not me...
Peace ✌

You'll be missed

image.jpg

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously CRHing isn't for everyone. Especially not for the guy who searched like 2 boxes then gave up.
News flash...
Silver dried up in circulation on Jan 1, 1965. All the silver we've been pulling is silver that people put back into circulation. And as long as we can still buy boxes, we'll find silver in it. Maybe not a dream box every time out, but enough to keep it fun and enough to wonder if the next box IS the dream box.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin Roll Hunting is not dead, it will not die until they change the size and color of coins in circulation. When they do that coin roll hunting is dead. It may be getting more difficult now, but know one said it was ever easy. Most of our coins have been the same size and color for over 125 years!
Our finds are down this year, but we do have finds. We just scored a Ben Franklin from a teller tray last week. The Ben was the same size and color of other halves she had. Last year we scored a solid roll of Indian Head cents. They were the same size and color of cents still in circulation. With 50 rolls in a $25 box of cents, in the past 6 years we have searched approx 400 boxes of cents or 20,000 rolls to find one solid roll of Indian cents. (this aint and easy hobby to get rich on)

We think there is a difference if you start to CRH to collect coins or if you start to get rich. We average about 7 wheats per box of cents, we still get a thrill when we find a wheat, it might just be one needed to fill a hole in our "Found in the Wild" book. The longer you do this the harder it is to fill a hole. So far this year we have filled just one hole, I think it was a 1934 D. (Which I picked out of the garbage can next to the coin machine at our bank).

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Last edited:

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
The volume of circulated coin is HUGE!
Any single CRHer is searching a very small amount.

My experience in dimes (and it hasn't change over the last 4 yrs) is that most boxes have between 0-2 silver dimes in them. The occasional box has 3-10. Rarely I will find 11-25 (once a year).
This is why high volume is the key!

But if you love silver, work a little harder, a little overtime, or a moonlighting job.
Take that money and buy silver. You will end up with more silver than you would CRHing.
CRHing is about treasure hunting.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend, out of two boxes, I pulled six 40%ers. One of those was a 1968 proof in great shape. I also pulled two clad proofs, one of which I needed for my book, and a 2008 commemorative. I don't expect to get rich from this but it does add to my stack and is enjoyable. :cat:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRH is not dead nor will it ever die. The thing that died was the OP patience. I find my CRH goes in cycles of lots of searching and then periods of only searching a small amount every few weeks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend, out of two boxes, I pulled six 40%ers. One of those was a 1968 proof in great shape. I also pulled two clad proofs, one of which I needed for my book, and a 2008 commemorative. I don't expect to get rich from this but it does add to my stack and is enjoyable. :cat:

What 2008 commemorative did you find!

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All points taken and my apologies if I offended anyone.
I know most crh as a passion and not to get "rich". But its continually sad to read the meager silver finds of late. And it'll worsen daily.
Do what you do...
Peace ✌

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

My experience in dimes (and it hasn't change over the last 4 yrs) is that most boxes have between 0-2 silver dimes in them. The occasional box has 3-10. Rarely I will find 11-25 (once a year).

But if you love silver, work a little harder, a little overtime, or a moonlighting job.
Take that money and buy silver. You will end up with more silver than you would CRHing.

Perfectly said!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still find silver. I've never really had a skunk streak for a long time..... My area is good I guess? I have been going to estate sales and thrift stores to find sterling and other treasures a lot more so I haven't really been crh that much, but when I do it's still good.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
In the past 2 months without CRHing just checking the spare change holders at our workplace and the coinstar I have found 2 quarters and nine rosies. Not much but its something to find. the 2 quarters came from a guy paying for food and internally I was warring with myself to tell him to keep the coins and inform him silver. But then I was also telling myself to shut up, constantly, that it was SILVER! The silver song was too hard to resist and I kept the quarters. One was a standing liberty that was pretty worn down and the other was a 1934. but the pickings are getting really really slim. No coins at all in any of my rolls for the past 5 months. ugh!!

Sincerely, Garoulady

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Bald Eagle. The obverse has a Bald Eagle head with the American flag in the background and the reverse has two baby eagles in a nest with an unhatched egg.

Found same commerative over a year ago still my fav non AG commerative. Very nice find I think only a handful of CRHs have this coin from the wild.

Last edited:

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is what i did, the time, effort, and energy needed, it's worth it to me these days just to buy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread