ethanmckinley10

Greenie
Dec 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I want to get rare and/or old coins from a bank what kinds of coins should I ask them for if I have 15 dollars? Should I ask for 15 dollars in quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies? Or just one type of coin? What kind of coin or combination of coins should I ask for with me having a fairly good chance of finding a old and/or rare coin. And should I ask for half dollars?
Thanks so much for the help.

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your never going to have a good chance to find a rare coin. That's why they are rare. A good place to start is to go to the top of this forum and read the Beginners guide. $15 is not alot but I would get it all in pennies. That way you will have plenty to search and most likely will at least find a few wheaties.

Just for your reference a roll of pennies= 50 cents
Nickels=$2 dimes=$5 a roll of quarters =$10, and a roll of halves=$10. So you get the most coins to search if you do pennies.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a big question. It depends. Try them all. One at a time. You can look at 30 halves at the bank, but don't. $15 in rolled cents will take longer, therefore, more fun or for $10 more you can get a $25 box (also called a 'brick' ) of rolled cents.

But learn what is rare. In 15 years I've found a cent 1982 P DDO = over $200, two 1983 P cent broken die = $150. And lots of odds and ends worth from 5 cents to $10.

Chances of finding a keeper will increase if you look at both sides of the coin.

Lots more to know, but remember that coins need not be old to be valuable.

Good Luck.
Tom

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I want to get rare and/or old coins ... if I have 15 dollars? ... What kind of coin or combination of coins should I ask for with me having a fairly good chance of finding a old and/or rare coin. . .
You asked about finding rare or old coins.
You will find some old coins (not entirely rare though) in pretty short order if you get 30 rolls of cents (pennies) as often as possible.

Within the first 30 rolls, you will find some 55+ year old coins. Within 300 rolls searched, you will find more than 1 70+ year old coins. Within 3000-6000 rolls searched, you will find at least 1 near or over 100 years old.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You can look at 30 halves at the bank, if they let you.

Please don't do this. Looking through coins at the bank just alerts everyone and their brother to our hobby. Buy the coins, search them at home, exchange them for cash at a different bank, and repeat the process.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Please don't do this. Looking through coins at the bank just alerts everyone and their brother to our hobby. Buy the coins, search them at home, exchange them for cash at a different bank, and repeat the process.

That was a poor joke. Thanks for catching me on that. What I meant was he could look through them quickly.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15$ isn't much for a bankroll. See if a parent or friend will loan you 100$ for a day & try to find some half dollar rolls = a good shot at silver = fastest way to build a bankroll. Once you get a couple hundred bucks you can search whatever you want

OP
OP
E

ethanmckinley10

Greenie
Dec 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for the tip. I got 15 dollars worth of pennies and got a few wheaties. Should I exchange my pennies for a new batch of pennies or should I try hunting for some other coins? Thanks

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for the tip. I got 15 dollars worth of pennies and got a few wheaties. Should I exchange my pennies for a new batch of pennies or should I try hunting for some other coins? Thanks

As has been said in the past, no one knows what you should do. Not trying to sound rude as it sounds like you're young. Everyone searches depending on what they like to do. There is no magic formula and you will NOT get rich from this.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Read the first few pages of the BEGINNERS GUIDE in the sticky section of this forum! It will answer to almost all of your questions. Don't take those pennies back to the same bank and try to exchange them. You will pi$$ off the teller and she won't sell you any more coins.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A box of nickels is only a hundred bucks. Chances are you will find 1 war in each box. So far in 3 boxes I found 3 total war.
Good luck

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
If I want to get rare and/or old coins from a bank what kinds of coins should I ask them for if I have 15 dollars? Should I ask for 15 dollars in quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies? Or just one type of coin? What kind of coin or combination of coins should I ask for with me having a fairly good chance of finding a old and/or rare coin. And should I ask for half dollars?
Thanks so much for the help.

I'll take a stab at answering your question. As already noted, take a look at BEGINNERS GUIDE in the sticky section of this forum. Considering how much you have to spend, I'd suggest getting rolls of nickels and pennies. Study online the various cent and nickel errors, This is a great site for cent errors: The Lincoln Cent Resource

Once you find rare or error coins, sell them online. Port ewan ace is a great example of how to make extra money from CRH finds. Check out his posts http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=11672684
for inspiration.

Search through previous posts at treasurenet to see how others have found and sold cents and nickels. As you increase the amount of money you have to search, you can work your way up to dimes and halves. I don't really recommend searching quarters for silver, though there are some errors out there you can find.

Bottom line: research, research, research. Research online, at your local library, join a coin club and ask the members for advice, ask your local coin store owner for advice. Earn money to increase the amount you have available to search with. After awhile you'll enjoy the collecting as much as the searching, and it can turn into a lifelong, possibly profitable pastime.

Good luck!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you had a good time doing it, then yes. Do it all again.

Once you have 5 rolls of common wheats, sell them at a coin show or local coins shop for cash and put that cash with your existing funds. Do that a few times to build up enough to have more options. When you hit $50-$75 of working funds, try nickels or dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread