Coin Stingy Field Coughs Up Another Nice Button

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy. I went back to the field I dug the 1868 Indian and cute button. I worked it pretty hard through the dense iron section and managed to capture a nice Federal Navy one piece button. I did a bit of research 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG and think it might be circa 1838-ish era. If any button experts know more please chime in. It looked familiar and come to find out it's my second one of this type. It measures about 15 mm I believe. It is marked " RICH COLOR " on the back. I also managed to recover the other half of the silver colored small pocket watch I dug a few days back. Also dug a serial number tag, copper tack rivet thingy, flat brass doohickey, Winchester Blue Rival 12 gauge brass, copper tin shrapnel, and a little glob of lead. I'll spare you all the iron I hauled out. I dug my first Federal Navy button just down the road from where I live. The field I recovered the second one is about 20 miles away from here. It's a small world after all. Thanks for viewing. Peace.

Upvote 9

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds!
Sweet to find the other side of the watch!
Good story and best part was - "flat brass doohickey" Love that one! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I just laughed when I realized I had found the other half of the small watch. The area I have been pounding for close to eight hours now is probably comparable to a football field in size or a bit smaller. Just trying to stay in the cabin zone where all the popping of iron is. I do linger outside that area and the popping stops and there aren't many signals at all then. Doesn't mean there might not be a good coin or relic out there but, just trying to play the "odds" I reckon. Thanks for your reply. Not sure what the little brass doohickey is but, it went to something? Adios amigo.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big piece of brass at top center of pic is a pocket knife and the flat brass "doohickey" is half of the swing joint of a folding ruler..........You're getting some nice finds! Love the Navy buttons!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iowa Dan. I forgot to mention the pocket knife it seems. Yep, has a brass plate running through it. Nice tone on that one. Thanks for ID-ing the brass doohickey. Ida' never figured that out. I do love all old buttons but, have a special penchant for the military ones. I don't know what these Navy guys were doing in the middle of Illinois corn fields :/ ? He hee? I have not done a lot of field hunting as it requires more work and more patience. Work hauling iron, aluminum, and other various trash which can be quite large at times. Patience trying to grab a non-ferrous signal among all the iron popping off. Anyhow, I have to find me a Shield Nickel, Seated Half Dime, Flying Eagle Penny, Seated Half Dollar, and any silver dollar coin to notch off my bucket list and I believe these fields might be the place to find these scarce coins. Thanks again for the ID and stopping by. I'll have to show you a picture of the "Key to Al Capone's jail cell in Joliet, IL Statesville Prison" I recovered in South East Iowa. She's sweet : ) Adios

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iowa Dan. I forgot to mention the pocket knife it seems. Yep, has a brass plate running through it. Nice tone on that one. Thanks for ID-ing the brass doohickey. Ida' never figured that out. I do love all old buttons but, have a special penchant for the military ones. I don't know what these Navy guys were doing in the middle of Illinois corn fields :/ ? He hee? I have not done a lot of field hunting as it requires more work and more patience. Work hauling iron, aluminum, and other various trash which can be quite large at times. Patience trying to grab a non-ferrous signal among all the iron popping off. Anyhow, I have to find me a Shield Nickel, Seated Half Dime, Flying Eagle Penny, Seated Half Dollar, and any silver dollar coin to notch off my bucket list and I believe these fields might be the place to find these scarce coins. Thanks again for the ID and stopping by. I'll have to show you a picture of the "Key to Al Capone's jail cell in Joliet, IL Statesville Prison" I recovered in South East Iowa. She's sweet : ) Adios
Would love to see the "Al Capone" key!
Yes, fields are where you will find all your "Bucket lister's"! I have found all of those on your list, plus seven Capped Bust silvers & two Spanish silvers.........all in fields......in Iowa!

Good Hunting!
Iowa Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread