Coin tumbler question

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Anyone use a coin tumbler?
I wouldnt do any good coins, but maybe to do some wheaties etc.
Any info would be appreciated ...if you should/should not do it etc.

Also, i see them on kellyco....little pricey.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=tumbler
Harbor freight has them for 32.99......same thing???
And, what kind of abrasive would you use for coins??

THanks

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I use one from harbor freight. I separate out everything, dimes, nickels, etc, then I throw them in the tumbler, add a
handful of sand cover it with water and throw in a big squirt of soft scrub w/bleach and let tumble for about a half hour.
it comes out clean and looks pretty nice.
check everything before you do it though, you don't want to clean a valuable coin

Sniffer

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both a (rock) tumbler and a (ammo) brass cleaner. The brass cleaner gives real good results. The tumbler does too but is more sloppy. I like the brass cleaner because you can filter out the coins that are done by using a plastic kitchen ladel that has holes in it. The holes allow the dry grit medium to fall back into the tub without turning off the machine. If you want good ones, both are pricey. Sniffer is only CLEANING his coins if he is doing them in a half hour. To get the corrosion off old money will take HOURS in either machine. I can't stand the NOISE for hours. Put the machine outside or back room. Hope this helps.... TTC

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Harbor Freight tumbler. Aquarium gravel, a little dish detergent and let it tumble for a day or so. DO NOT MIX PENNIES with your other clad unless you want it all to come out looking copper plated.
HH
Bill

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOPS! Left out the water in the above post. I put in enought to cover the coins and gravel.
Bill

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fish gravel and some dish soap with water. Seperate all coins and let run in the garage because of nosie....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread