coin tumbler

B

BIG61AL

My coin tumbler is on the fritz....I know that all it needs is a little oil on the shaft but I can get to the inside. Some dumbass engineer decided to use the tiniest of Torx screws [looks like a star] deep inside a narrow hole. I have the right bits but the shaft of socket wrench is too wide for the holes and I tried to use a hex wrench but that did not work. I would hate to have to a whole set of torx drivers just to use one size. If I can't find any I'll just drill the screws out and put it back together with rubber bands. I was so disappointed because I was just going to start tumbling my 2006 coins to turn into cash. Over 1300 coins. I don't want to dremmel all of those one by one. Stupid engineer!

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Big A,

they don't make things easy today.

What the heck, winter, cold, snow,
gives you something to do ;) ;D

1300 coins :o Should about be time for
your yearly bath, just take them in with
you :P

have a good un........

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh, OK. A little venting eh?

Do what you gotta do. Drill it out and reassemble with rivrets, screws, yes, even duct tape or gummi bands if needs be.

OP
OP
B

BIG61AL

I have some issues with poor engineering. Handles and levers that pinch, things that require three hands to attach, hex nuts that only let you turn them 1/8 turn until you have to remove the tool and reinsert to turn another 1/8 turn.
Just stupid things like that. Before every design get final approval the engineers should be asked to fix a broken one so they can see what is wrong with the design. It really gets under my skin!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the problem is that a lot of things arent really intended to be repaired anymore. the harder they make it to repair, the more likely it is that you will just buy a new one.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WASH THE DIRT OFF THE COINS / ROLL THEM AND SPEND THEM.....
AT FAST FOO JOINTS AND THE LIKE...
THEY WILL TAKE THEM, IF THE ROLLS WEIGH RIGHT TO INDICATE ACCURACY.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel for ya pal. Being without my tumbler would be like being without my tumbler.

Hey dahut! where'd ya get my baby picture?

Badger

beerdoodle

Oct 13, 2006
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Big A,

they don't make things easy today.

What the heck, winter, cold, snow,
gives you something to do ;) ;D

1300 coins :o Should about be time for
your yearly bath, just take them in with
you :P

have a good un........
ROFLMAO

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dahut! where'd ya get my baby picture?
Didnt you know? I was there when they took it! Talk about old!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a Dremel tool to clean your coins because the tumbler is broken? Reminds me of being a newbie and setting the coins in recessed holes in a block of wood so I could clean them with a SOS pad one by one. Makes me wonder wonder now if I ever had anything else to do.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I would suggest you contact your local body shop.... every body man has a set of torx screwdrivers. I would send you mine, but the shipping back and forth would cover the cost of buying one a Sears.

When all else fails........ use a big hammer and duct tape.

good luck.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sears sells all sizes of torx drivers individually and in sets. A smaller one should not be more than 2 or 3 bucks.

OP
OP
B

BIG61AL

I just drilled the screws out and oiled it up and duct taped back together. Back in business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread