Coin Valuation

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
I would check eBay, to see what is for sale. Look at how much they are asking and finally what the bid actually is. Not exactly an exact science, but you will at least be able to find out if it is rare, in high demand, or just an old piece of money. Offhand, I don't know any website listing prices. You might want to check dealers sites and see what they have for sale as well.

Do you know how to grade coins? If not it might help to go to the library and sign out price guides (they show briefly how to grade) or any U.S. coin books or magazines. Get ones with photos of various grades.
Don't get too excited as most coins from the 40's are worth scrap value.
Scrap prices here in Can. at one place- are around 0.40 for dimes, 0.60 for quarters, $1.50 for half dollars, $3. for silver dollars. It varies on the market. Good luck! Dave.

blazen70

Apr 20, 2003
Inland Empire, CA
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Most common silver coins from that period are sold at about 5x's their face value. I use that formula as a guide when i'm looking to buy cheap silver. -Robert-

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try <www.PCGS.com>, use the "Daily Price Guide". These are slightly high values, but will give you an estimate. They are prices that have bee realized on a daily to weekly basis for the coins listed. Hope this helps.
Coinshooter

midus1

Jul 8, 2003
Alexandria, Ky
Heritage Coins

Heriatge coins.com maintains a history database of coins sold and the grade the coin sold at. Great site for finding actual sale value of your coins.

HH

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIG73, try this site it will give you the lowdown on the best and the worst and links to all of them. wink

http//www.camacs.com/coin_grading_services.html#ICG

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPs! I misread your post. Oh well, If your want anything graded these are the places to do it. I think the other post I posted was a better post for valuations. It's hard to judge, though, how true to life their valuations are compared to, say, what you might get selling them on the internet. Although auction sites are not what I would call a great indicator either since if someone wants a coin they may pay way more for it than it's really worth just to "win" it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread