Coin with triangle center Updated with PICS

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
I went to an old school that they were pushing around dirt and found a Coin with a Triangle hole in the middle and symbols around it. Very thin. Any ideas what it is? I took some pictures of it. Has a dragon on one side of it. Also found two wheats and a nickel with nothing on either side....weird, and some other decomposing coin.

Attachments

• DSC03846 (2).JPG
    DSC03846 (2).JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,515
  • DSC03847 (2).JPG
    DSC03847 (2).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,839
  • DSC03848 (2).JPG
    DSC03848 (2).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,761
  • DSC03850 (2).JPG
    DSC03850 (2).JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,821
  • DSC03853 (2).JPG
    DSC03853 (2).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,766

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Coin with triangle center

Are you certain its a chinese coin? I just looked at 46 pages of chinese coin pictures and everyone had eithe a circle, square or diamond in the center.
If you find out what it is let me know please?? Cheers, Shane

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Korban

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Re: Coin with triangle center

I dont know that it is chinese. I couldnt find any coin with a triangle center. Post a pic tonight.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Pic it looks Rounded Like a Button ?
Is that how it is ?
Or is that just an Effect from Picture Angle.

Definately Oriental in Design
but there are alot of Oriental Countrys.

Upvote 0

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat looking coin. I think the nickel looks like a V nickel too.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
This is a sort of Chinese good luck token— often called a charm, amulet, or talisman. The characters appear to read Ch'ien-lung T'ung-pao— "circulating coin [or 'current treasure'] of Emperor Ch'ien-lung"— as shown below. Genuine Chinese cash coins of that period date c. 1735-96. However, as has been pointed out, Korban's find differs from them in that the hole is triangular rather than square; also, it is struck rather than cast as the 18th century coins were. The symbols on the reverse are evidently occult/amuletic.

By the way, there are some collectors who believe this piece is a souvenir item from the Golden Gate International Exposition (world's fair) held in San Francisco in 1939-40, but I have no idea whether that's the case.

cash.JPG

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Korban

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Hey thanks alot for everybodies info!! Im headed back out to the same place here in about 20 mins. Good detecting to All!!!

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
There also appears to be some trigrams... I see three anyway, is there one in the bottom left?

trigrams.JPG

Eight Trigrams

8trigrams[1].jpg

The secret of the protective bagua potency lies in the arrangement of the Eight Trigrams. Eight Trigrams (derived from I-Ching or known as Book of Changes) is the pattern of change in our universe and its energy were formulated, with their transformation, events and evolution of mother nature recorded diagramically in the form of solid (yang) and (yin) lines called trigrams. These natural events affect our health, livelihood, and relationships. http://www.fengshuibestbuy.com/SL10299-chinesecoin.html

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
The first Four Trigrams are Yin:

SUN

Sense/Sensing. The sensing is defined by the weak yin line, outside, at the bottom. The indication gentleness, to be soft and penetrating; the continuing flow of experience: receiving one impression, freed to move on to a new one. The image is grass, wind & wood. The wind goes softly through trees & grass.

LI

Think/Thinking. Thinking links up and attaches sense with words, following the wishes and impulses. Thinking has a beginning and end, visualized in the image of fire; light & clinging. Thinking, is not an end in itself; but to solve problems. You should not think beyond the solution. Once you understand; answers are all in memory. The motivation is to attain clarity, not the thoughts themselves.

TUI

Feel/Feeling. Feelings experience the inner signals, as opposed to the outer signals of senses. The image is the clear lake which you can look through. The indication is for joy and happiness; to to satisfy the needs, so they disappear, to have peace and serenity together. But not to share empathy pity, or suffer with one another.

KUN

Will. The image is a cave in the Earth and extends to the vastness of the planet. The indication is devotion and receptivity; willing to receive the germ and let it grow. Once the will is expressed through choice, or decision; it is to move on and be transported to a higher level of responsibility.

The next Four Trigramsare Yang.

KEN

Body. The body is. You are unable to change it's nature; The image is the mountain, the motivation is keeping still. You can then experience the nature of the body, sense it's needs and control it's functions through the tranquility of silence, of deep sleep or illness.

KAN

Soul. The soul is between heaven, earth,spirit and body. It is always in danger. The Soul, like the river, has to flow from the source in the mountain to the sea, then be transformed, die, into clouds, and finally be reincarnated again as rain in the mountains. The indication is stillnesss and resting. Kan is seen representing Six primary relations of the family: Brother, Sister, Father, Mother, Son & Daughter.

CHEN

The Spirit, attained only in the waking state, the conscious quest. It is always a sacred spirit. It is defined by the images of thunder and lightning, and the indication is arousal, movement and excitement. First you experience awe and anxiety, then humility and peace; then laughter; when you find simplicity in knowing.

CH'IEN

Awareness/Balance here means living in tune with Karma. The image is the heavens on a clear starry night. The motivation is creativity and cosmic awareness towards personal growth & transcendence.

Upvote 0

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Just adding more info to the above

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=3611

inscribed CH'IEN LUNG T'UNG PAO (Qian Long Tong Bao). This inscription is copied from cash coins of Emperor Ch'ien Lung (ruled 1736-1795), but the triangular hole piece was actually made in the 20th century using machinery. The reverse shows a dragon. This piece is believed to be a souvenir from one of the worlds fairs in the United States or from a Chinatown in the USA. Some believe it is from the St. Louis worlds fair of 1904; others think it is from the Pan-Pacific fair of 1914. The pieces are rare in the far east, but fairly common in the USA.

Guess I was thinking like bigcypresshunter ;D same site, different page tho

Upvote 0

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I found one too..

Dug it up from a goodly depth long-hidden in the desert sands of Trona,Ca. Definately the coin/token does'nt date from the 1940s. Has to be very early 1900s or before.

Upvote 0

NO1LOCATOR

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oregon, Musem had pic of one !

I dont know that it is chinese. I couldnt find any coin with a triangle center. Post a pic tonight.

It is a 1732 Chinese junk coin and i have found one many years ago under a rose bush at about 10inch deep while metal detecting on home site that was being torn down, after years of hunting for what it was ended up finding a book with it in it at Tillamook Museum Oregon, The way the story goes a ship crashed on shore near Tillamook and the local Indians where some what friendly to them till the men from the ship abused some of the women in tribe ,the Indians killed all the men and took the coins from them and put them on leather around their necks, not many know of this but only one book tells the truth , now there are many arguments about the coin and some dealers say that a San Fransisco company made up reps of it and handed them out, Iam not buying into it, as they are made of bronze type metal and no expo is going to use bronze to hand out ! I lost mine in home break in and lost 40 years of silver and finds !

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
good luck symbol type coin --thus the triangle hole--unlike square "cash coin" type coins---certain types and years of "cash coins"; are thought of as "good luck" coins and are much desired --so much so that "copies" have been made..to prevent charges of counterfeiting the holes are triangle instead of square or round

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NevadaDave

Jun 19, 2012
Henderson, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III, IV, V, AT-4, Scorpion, ACE 250 and AT-Pro. Tesoro Bandito II U-max, Lobo ST, and Cortes. Fisher 1266, F2, F75, and Gold Bug Pro. Whites Coinmaster, GMT, MXT and Prizm 4. (and a f
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two of these “coins” with triangular holes in Spokane, Washington in the late 1970s. The interesting thing is they were both counter stamped with G G G, lending credence that they were somehow connected to the Golden Gate International Exposition.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread