"Coin World" article about olive oil

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
"Coin World" article about olive oil

The "Coin World" issue dated June 23, 2007 has a three page article concerning the use of olive oil. I only found it because I saw a letter to the editor in the July 14,(?) issue in which the writer says olive oil is not good to use and he referenced the June 23 article.
The opinions in the article were mostly for its use but that it would darken the patina of the coin and seemed to encourage extra virgin olive oil instead of virgin oil - this lowers the acid that the coin is exposed to.
It seemed to emply that mineral oil might be a better choice - no acid
Discussed some variations on oil use. Also other options - distilled water, soaps, tooth picks, scraping, vegetable oil, and apparently the best choice? - don't clean the coin. Really a good read.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Coin World" article about olive oil

was the article written about dug coins or coins our of your pocket? For some reason when you pull an old copper out of the ground it looks half way decent but after a short period of time it changes its appearance. Here is a picture of a coin I found last month that I put directly into the olive oil as soon as it came out of the ground. I think the olive oil did a good job of cleaning it and preserving it.

Attachments

• 1822.jpg
    1822.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 914

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I found the olive oil to leach out of coins after time. I use a hydrogen Peroxide treatment. Here are results of recent uses of Peroxide. There is some corrosion on the left of the Large Cent, but the coin came out nice with no leaching.

Attachments

• 2007_0803Image0015.jpg
    2007_0803Image0015.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 600
  • 1904o.jpg
    1904o.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 594
  • 2007_0803Image0015.jpg
    2007_0803Image0015.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 597
  • 1904o.jpg
    1904o.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 593

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007

If I remember correctly, this article was about cleaning unidentifiable ancient coins---in other words, coins on which there's nothing to lose. It's a great article, but please: don't be reckless and start cleaning coins without heeding the advice of experts and practicing first. Soaking in distilled water is the safest method. Drying methods are sometimes overlooked. Pat dry with a lint-free cloth (don't rub), and air dry longer than you would with dishes or other things.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think peroxide is clearly superior to olive oil. For what olive oil will do, peroxide will do just as well with less mess, less cost, and no leaching. For more examples of the peroxide method, check out my Large Cents posted in this heading. The post title is "The Peroxide Method Works!" I cleaned some early LC's including an 1810 that turned out quite nicely, plus an 1864 IH cent.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread