Coin Wrap inc. culling silver.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today is my last day at coin wrap inc, at location #38, my stamp number is 6853, in Long Island city, NY. Yesterday I talked with my shift supervisor about coins, silver coins more specifically. He shared his story of how he was working at a Dunbar location and had a full bag of silver quarters come in, and they told him to box it anyways when he brought it to their attention. He also told me, at certain coin wrap location that are ran independently of armored car carriers, coin wrap has machines that cull silvers. Locations where the armored cars truck the coins to the coin wrap location and pick up boxed coins later. He said they swap out coins, I asked if it was coin wrap that was doing it or employees. He said it was coin wrap, so coin wrap inc. is making some extra on the side. He also said coin wrap wraps the collector presidential dollar coins rolls, and how the company was being anal about how it must be perfect. Etc etc. Now my source of this info comes from an employee that has worked with coin wrap for over 10 years. i will ask him if he knows which facility culls silver today. Stay tuned.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Liu21: you have been so very helpful to enlighten us CRH'rs on the coin processor operation. Thanks for all your input help. HH

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liu21: you have been so very helpful to enlighten us CRH'rs on the coin processor operation. Thanks for all your input help. HH
Agreed, i also appreciate your posts on the subject. Staying tuned.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry guys, no update. My shift super and two other guys called out today. Only me and two other guys showed up for work. I made 301 boxes of nickels and clocked out to join my family for dinner. It was fun working there in the beginning, but after awhile it became annoying as the machines were stopping due to being poorly maintained. Wish everyone the best in hunting. I haven't crh since I started working there, now I find my self out metal detecting more for my silver.

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was a great run. Thanks for the inside info!

does that mean that each stamp number represents an employee?

Last edited:

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that stamp number is only your stamp number and you box NF string boxes then your boxes do make it to connecticut.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it was a great run. Thanks for the inside info!

does that mean that each stamp number represents an employee?

Yes each stamp number represents an employee, and ONLY that employee. I was told they havent reused numbers yet.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that stamp number is only your stamp number and you box NF string boxes then your boxes do make it to connecticut.

You gotten some of my boxes?

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if there's no stamp number? Someone run out of ink? Most of the boxes i used to get had no number at all.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an NF String Box of nickels waiting at home to open...now I can see if its a "Liu Special" :)
Thanks for all of your info Liu, best of luck to you on your next job! May I suggest inquiring at one of the nation's mints so that you can provide some insider info on the minting process and how often errors are produced..lol

You mention doing more metal detecting lately...maybe we will run into each other in the Rockaways!

Till then Happy Hunting!
TwoYewts

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What if there's no stamp number? Someone run out of ink? Most of the boxes i used to get had no number at all.

Hmm, If you are talking about half dollar boxes, chances are they are boxed by a shift supervisor or the facility manager. They no longer use a stamp, that is why your boxes has no stamp. If you are talking about Pennies, Nickels, Dimes and Quarter boxes. Than it might be a shift supervisor filling in a spot, because they can find employees to fill positions. I didnt get my stamp till two months on the Job, and they have ink readily available, to refill our stamper.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an NF String Box of nickels waiting at home to open...now I can see if its a "Liu Special" :)
Thanks for all of your info Liu, best of luck to you on your next job! May I suggest inquiring at one of the nation's mints so that you can provide some insider info on the minting process and how often errors are produced..lol

You mention doing more metal detecting lately...maybe we will run into each other in the Rockaways!

Till then Happy Hunting!
TwoYewts

I've seen Blank planchets from Pennies to nickels about every 5 Ballistic Bags, Thats just the ones I see on the surface. a ballistic bag of pennies is 4000$, Nickels is 10000$. Also off center strike 2016 Pennies Ive seen, they are pretty common. If you guys are looking for blank planchets, crack open those BU boxes of coins and check everyone. lol
Ive been hitting Parks only, havent ventured into the beach, as i dont have a sand scoop yet.

Last edited:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, If you are talking about half dollar boxes, chances are they are boxed by a shift supervisor or the facility manager. They no longer use a stamp, that is why your boxes has no stamp. If you are talking about Pennies, Nickels, Dimes and Quarter boxes. Than it might be a shift supervisor filling in a spot, because they can find employees to fill positions. I didnt get my stamp till two months on the Job, and they have ink readily available, to refill our stamper.
Appreciate the reply, excuse my attempt at humor.:D Yes, all the halve dollar boxes with the occasional other denomination. Used to be all my half dollar boxes had some kind of date stamp along with a code up to a couple years ago. Then i never saw a stamp on any of them. Just wondering what changed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread