South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489883034.881380.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489883078.036156.jpg

Dug this today near a stream on an old property. Near old coal mining area in Pa. This rang up in nickel/foil range, but has properties of brass or copper.

It is thin, but not delicate. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489883253.009155.jpg

I can't discern any markings. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489883294.591327.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489883331.971693.jpg

Any ideas? My only thought is an old mining store token that has seen better days. Thx

Upvote 5

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thinking outside the box....I'd be inclined to say it's a zinc cent...:dontknow:
Really, I got no clue....good luck with an ID

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coal miners script is a possibility

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having posted pics of those before and gotten lots of great input on the forums I can tell you it's a high probability of being an electrical box "punch out". What you have posted looks identical to the ones I found.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug electrical box slugs before, they were attracted to magnets, this is not. I've heard people mention the bottom of a rotted out battery, maybe. Are there any thin coins the same approximate size as a dime?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper slug used to fool payphones back in the day.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
flat button?
looks like the one I found in PA

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot peroxide it, you might get some detail?

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny la.FurTrade, before your post I was comparing the piece to an IHP as it seemed that there was a similar female facing left image on it. Then I saw your post and noticed that a 3 cent nickel also has a very similar left facing female, plus the 3 cent is basically the same size as a dime but considerably less mass and made of 80 % copper and 20% nickel. This would answer why it rang nickel, but looks like a very thin toasted penny. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489896891.105741.jpg
Attached pic is with some olive oil applied. Sort of can see the IHP like female facing left, could this be a 3 cent nickel? I'll try to get something out of the back side to show up, but it is really toasted. One other thing, the back side feels slightly concave when rubbing in your fingers, sort of like an IHP with the front slightly convex and back slightly concave.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I think it's very possibly a 3 center.........I dug a beautiful 1870 last week!
Nice find!
Iowa Dale
Funny la.FurTrade, before your post I was comparing the piece to an IHP as it seemed that there was a similar female facing left image on it. Then I saw your post and noticed that a 3 cent nickel also has a very similar left facing female, plus the 3 cent is basically the same size as a dime but considerably less mass and made of 80 % copper and 20% nickel. This would answer why it rang nickel, but looks like a very thin toasted penny. View attachment 1428574
Attached pic is with some olive oil applied. Sort of can see the IHP like female facing left, could this be a 3 cent nickel? I'll try to get something out of the back side to show up, but it is really toasted. One other thing, the back side feels slightly concave when rubbing in your fingers, sort of like an IHP with the front slightly convex and back slightly concave.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks thin enough to be Spanish but you say in rang up in the nickel range??:dontknow:

I was thinking that it looks thin enough to be Ethiopian.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions