Attachments

• image-996259155.jpg
    image-996259155.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 993

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your new detector, while long in the tooth, is still a workhorse. It isn't one of the more popular models, but that's ok.
First, here's a link to the correct manual: http://media.whiteselectronics.com/manuals/Coinmaster%20Manuals/CM%205500%20D%20S3%20%201984%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Your detector uses four 'C' cell batteries, which makes it rather heavy, but I have always liked the backwards handle design. You can just let it hang from your fingers and swing your wrist back and forth, rather than from the shoulder like newer designs.
Coils: there is nothing wrong with the coil that came with it. However, at some point you might want to invest in a smaller coil or even a larger coil. Your detector uses coils that are referred to as "6B" coils. The stock coil is 8". There is a 4" a 10" and a 15" coil available. Don't waste your money on the 15" trash can lid. The other coils are actually rather handy to have, though. Just remember, if it isn't a "6B", it will not work properly on your detector. BTW, that "6B" is stamped on one of the ears on the coil where the clevis mounts.
White's has always been really good about marking settings on their detectors that will allow you to get out detecting right away, with a minimum of manual reading. These settings are marked with a 'P' inside a triangle. They are not the optimum settings for your environment, but they will get you good results right off the bat. But, read your manual thoroughly, then read it again with the detector in hand, then practice, practice, practice.
Your power switch is marked with 'ON' as the default position. As soon as you have learned what the threshold is, how to set it, and how to use it, start setting your power switch to the 'SAT' position. You'll get more depth that way.
Get some headphones. Your older detector has a 'mono' headphone plug, so the newer headphones will not work without an adapter. There are exceptions, but that's not really important, since they probably cost more than you spent on your detector. White's sells a decent set of headphones for $25.00 USD. You can find them here: White's Metal Detectors - Headphones or you can get a set of Garrett Deluxe headphones for $26.00 USD at KellyCo here: Metal Detector Headphones For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors . The Garrett's have a stereo/mono switch, which would obviate the need for an adapter. Headphones will significantly extend the life of your batteries, but they don't last long. I see a charger in your case, so if the rechargeable battery pack is there, and it works, good deal. If the battery pack is missing, don't spend money on one, just get a couple sets of rechargeable batteries with their own charger.
You might want to start out in tot-lots. They are kind of a controlled environment. It is easier to dig in chips and practice your pinpointing technique. You can learn an awful lot about how your detector works by spending time in tot-lots. Often, there are some pretty good finds in those chips.
Finally, have fun!
If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be able to get the manual from the Whites website. I used the 6000 version for 29 yrs. Great analog. The meter is dead on for US coins laying flat down to at least 6". (it goes deeper but the reading changes) For that depth it is more accurate than many modern MDs when it comes to DEPTH readings.
They are built well, accurate and fun to use. They are also heavy. When I was young it didn't matter.
Plenty of info on this type on this and many other sites. It has simple settings and complex options as you learn.
Still have mine.

OP
OP
Josh ellis

Josh ellis

Aug 11, 2013
👍Thanks for all the tips. I really appreciate it.

I will post my first finds soon. Thanks again😄

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread