AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Currently, it is still against the law to melt these coins down into their basic raw material...

So than is it also not legal to melt down gold and silver coins?

Any chance you could point me/us to the actual law, so that we can read exactly what it says? I had a conversation the other day with a coworker, and as they understood the law, it stated something about it only being illegal if there was the intent of fraud. So it would be illegal for me to melt some pennies and use the metal to make nickles, but to melt the coin for it base metal would be ok, since there was no attempt to defraud.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there any Apps for us newbies that can quickly give us a price on a Silver Dollar? I always see them at thrift stores, pawn shops, and garage sales and don't know if they're worth $10 or $40 each or what to offer!!
In general, silver dollars almost always carry a hefty premium over melt. Try finding slicks for under $20, good luck.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget US silver coinage, halves - quarters - dimes, minted 1992-present, S-proofs only. I have found them in change, and rolls.

nicholsrg74

Nov 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
value of 1967 lincoln penny with a cud error

Can anyone tell me how to find value of a 1967 lincoln penny with a overlapping inprint of two O shaped. Symbols. In inside the imprint.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell me how to find value of a 1967 lincoln penny with a overlapping inprint of two O shaped. Symbols. In inside the imprint.

It would be great if you could post a photo. Sounds like it could just be damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread