Coins, Anchor Cufflink, and my First Pistareen!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These finds are the result of several multi-hour hunts on a new spot. The area was just cleared of brush which is excellent for covering every inch of ground, but this is a huge site so I'm nowhere near done. The other cool part of the ground being disturbed is that there pottery fragments sitting right on the surface all over the place. I only grabbed a handful, but there's some pretty stuff:

DSC01061.JPG DSC01063.JPG

The brown glass square bottle fragment in particular looks like it's fairly old. The odd part about this home site is the sheer amount of lead pipe in the ground. Almost every other target was a section or fragment of lead pipe. At first I thought it was just the plumbing getting spread around by the tractors, but many of the sections are cut or otherwise modified:

DSC01065.JPG

By the end of the hunts I had accumulated over 15 pounds of the stuff and that's not including a 3' section that didn't fit in the photo. Several fragments have solder joints that were started and then stopped so I'm thinking that a plumber may have lived here and had a workshop. Some sections of pipe were even hammered into balls or rough cubes so I guess he would fool around with bits when he was bored.

DSC01089.JPG

I did find biscuit of lead stock with a "T" stamped in the middle. Probably some of his rough stock that he had for casting joints. I assume the "T" is from the smelter but that's not much to go on.

I found a bunch of buttons all spread around. No dandies, but several nice tombacs and one 2-piece.

DSC01069.JPG DSC01071.JPG

The small tombac with the geometric design etched into it is my favorite. There were surprisingly few buckles around, but I did find one that's a first for me:

DSC01083.JPG

I know it's not whole, but I finally have a neck stock buckle! I'll keep looking for the rest of it, but so far no luck and no shoe buckles have turned up which is very odd.

Tons of colonial coins though. Several coppers, but they're all in pretty bad shape.

DSC01079.JPG

Left to right is a draped bust LC, 1771 KGIII half penny, and last is a KGII half penny. I did manage one state copper:

DSC01078.JPG

It's a 1788 Vermont copper and in slightly better shape than the others. Not much left to the reverse, but the date is visible at the right angle. A few 1800's coins also turned up:

DSC01080.JPG DSC01081.JPG

Two shield nickels which is rare for me, an 1857 flying eagle cent, 1890 IHP, and a 1901 IHP. The best and most surprising coin though is the Spanish silver 1 Real.

DSC01074.JPG DSC01076.JPG

It's well worn so obviously it was in circulation for awhile, but I'm fairly sure it's a 1726. My first half pistareen and by far my new oldest silver. Again, not something I expected to dig around here since it predates the settlement of the town by 30+ years, and this homesite is at the oldest 1780.

Despite how awesome finding that was, it's still a toss up for the best find since about 15 feet away I found this:

DSC01093.JPG DSC01094.JPG

An anchor cufflink! From my research I know they weren't part of the uniform, but instead usually custom ordered by retired naval officer's for their civilian dress. Definitely my best cufflink find to date and hopefully this means there are some naval buttons to be found.

The rest of the site had no shortage of finds covering the usual homesite relics:

DSC01067.JPG DSC01068.JPG DSC01084.JPG DSC01085.JPG

Lots of iron including the two chisel like pieces that I really like. The brass comb is another first and the silver-washed harness buckle is gorgeous. There were a few mystery/odd pieces too.

DSC01086.JPG DSC01087.JPG

The piece on the right is a finial of some sort, but the one on the left was a cap to something. There's still some wood inside and the iron pin that attached it. It's very thick brass and from the casting I would guess late 1700's to early 1800's.

DSC01090.JPG DSC01091.JPG

Last is this off copper sheet with rivets. It's not flat so I don't think it's off a roof. Almost looks like it was attached to leather, but that's just a guess.

The ground around the site is frozen again, but I'll definitely be back to see what else is hiding. Hopefully by removing all the lead I can start to pick up deeper targets and if I'm lucky there's more old silver to be found!

Last edited:
Upvote 52

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great site. Did the lead all ring up at the same VDI or all over the place depending on size and depth. That must have been a challenge, but well worth it. Great finds, fav is the Spanish coin. Congrats!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!

That silver is awesome. Don't see too many coins that old in our neck of the woods.

Pound the heck outta that site!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great batch of finds man.

Congrats on the Spanish. That's a nice well used site there. I'd hunt it hard.

Jer

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site. Did the lead all ring up at the same VDI or all over the place depending on size and depth. That must have been a challenge, but well worth it. Great finds, fav is the Spanish coin. Congrats!

It was actually surprisingly consistent between lead chunks. I primarily used the Deus in the fast program and they would ring around the mid 80's even if it was a long piece of pipe. It was always a strong signal though, which is how I could tell it was probably going to be a chunk of lead before I dug after it. Stuff like the buttons would have the same VDI, but just be a quieter and shorter tone.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. That site was active over a lot of years. Some nice buttons and congrats on the Spanish silver. Technically not a pistareen, which is 2 reales, but a half pistareen.

I can ID one of your mystery items. The piece on the left in this picture is a whiffletree tip. Google whiffletree and you can see what it went on.
attachment.jpg

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dream hunt
Congrats

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can ID one of your mystery items. The piece on the left in this picture is a whiffletree tip. Google whiffletree and you can see what it went on.

That's definitely it; thank you for the ID! I'm surprised I haven't come across one before.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tons of nice finds! What a great hunt!! Your bottom picture looks to be a kettle patch............I find them on my late 18 C Fur Trade Indian sites, but the settlers patched kettles the same way.

Iowa Dale

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn nice assortment of finds!!! I'm with ya on the toss up between the real and the cuff but the beauty of it is you found BOTH!!! CONGRATZ....

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tons of nice finds! What a great hunt!! Your bottom picture looks to be a kettle patch............I find them on my late 18 C Fur Trade Indian sites, but the settlers patched kettles the same way.

Just looked up some photos and that does seem to be a match and it explains the curve that the whole piece has; thank you so much for the ID! I guess this patch failed so they ripped it off and tried again!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowza thats alot of digging but well worth it, great post

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds from what appears to be a great patch of dirt!!! Congratulations!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Paleomaxx, Congrat's to you on some very nice Relics and Saved History. Pound this area Hard. Well Done and Continued Success to you.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that seems like an awesome site! I really like the button and the pistareen! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: The cufflink is really cool too!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I just noticed another item in your post that is really coincidental because I dug one last weekend, had no idea what it was, and just posted it in the Facebook "ID Me" forum last night! Turns out it is the end off a window shade rod. Would have went on the end of the wooden rod and fit into a grooved bracket. Maybe you already knew that....

IMG_20190227_183912286.jpg IMG_20190227_184137365.jpg

You can see it in the lower left corner of this picture.
FB_IMG_1551387914707.jpg

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great collection of saves! I really like that cuff link, bravo :occasion14:

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on all the finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions