Coins and discrimination

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hi Everyone, new here to the forum, just posted my first "Today's Finds" a little while ago. I have a question for the coin shooters here. I started having some good results with my detector when I decided to discriminate all but silver and copper. I went from pulling tabs to pulling coins which is fine with me. I don't really have as much interest in finding gold, jewelry or relics as I do in finding coins. I'm down to find coins. I found modern dimes, pennies and a 1940 Quarter under this setting. My question then is, what coins would I not find? I don't have any mercury, barber or other dimes to perform the test. What older coins would I miss or find by having the detector on silver and copper only?

Upvote 0

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically, none of the American "good" coins. IH's WILL come in like zinc cents, so dont DISC them out - but they will mostly be deeper than screwcaps, which are very close. In time, you should be able to learn their patterns. If you DISC out all but those things from just below zinc cents on up, you will only be missing nickels and sacrificing some depth due to the high discrimination.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slightly deeper(5-6 inchs) indian head pennys will sound like a zinc penny dirty but solid signal

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the others have said is true. You will lose some depth with the higher discrimination but the time added to your not digging pull tabs and nickels will increase your finds of the other coins due to the increased amount of time sweeping and covering more ground. Also you will miss the coins that are on edge or not laying flat in the ground. Even some good coins next to iron may be masked out and lost too.

HH,
Sandman

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
I haven't had the luck to find shallow silver in Illinois. It gets hunted pretty good where I live . All my silver is deep and I would think your setting would miss these. Rob

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
old fat indian head pennies and flying eagle pennies are in the pull tab range as well because of their nickle content and the silver three cent piece that i found registered just above that . the mineralization of the ground and depth play a part in what a coin will read too. this is just what some of my experiences have been. hope it helps

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
If you're in a really old area you'd probably miss 3cent silver, half dimes, all nickels and of course flying eagle and early indian cents. It sometimes pays to dig all signals, but then again digging trash sucks too!!!!
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread