Coins and Relics !!! A Season of Metal Detecting...............

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been quite some time since the last time since I posted a Detecting adventure story here in Treasure net. The Eagle belt story I believe was the last. So what I would like to do is share some of the stories and finds I have had over the past 6 months with some of my friends and family……… I would like to start with the time Cheryl, Leah and I went back to a farm site in the town of Wales here in Western NY. I have found a few Fat boy Indians (as I call them) and large Pennies along with other relics. So what we found were quite a few nice finds. But the one that stood out the most was my daughter Leah’s first large cent…a nice 1848. Right out in the middle of the field nowhere near the location where the old house stood. She was so excited that by the end of the day we all found something, but as Leah said “ I found the oldest coin”.. …I was happy for her.

P9240035 Medium Web view.jpg

P9240036 Medium Web view.jpg

When it comes to Metal Detecting, there is one thing that I enjoy the most and that is Relic hunting. Finding those old Colonial sites and lost homesteads long forgotten and the Coins, Buttons and unusual items that comes with them. The displays that I come to put together are made up of some of the most recent items that I have found. Some of the cases or pictures may show a few items that I have found earlier in the year. I figure writing one article and telling a few of the most recent outings would be better than posting 20 different posts with all the stories. “ I think everyone would be kind of board with that”………lol.

In the case below I have a number of toe plates that I have found this year. That small porcelain face and leg are pieces from who knows…….Maybe a small toy, vase or statue of some sort. Assorted pipe stems, horse combs, harmonica pieces and the other artifacts are again from a number of sites.

P9240020 Medium Web view.jpg

P9240025 Medium Web view.jpg

The next case has some nice coins and a few firsts…….The large coin in the middle is a (Province of Canada, one penny Bank Token 1837) it is much large than a US large cent. And a first for me, it was found a site that Cheryl and I found in Wyoming county about a month ago and have found some really nice finds including 2 cent pieces, large cents, early Indians and the locket with a Paper Picture inside. The picture looks like a Monkey, but some of the old Teddy Bear Pictures have looked similar. I would say monkey, people back in the early 1800’s have never seen them, most people have just heard of them and the person that wore the locket may have become attracted to it in some way!!! ??? The Civil war token was found in a corn field and tells a very interesting tale (The Flag of our Union) on the face but on the reverse it says (DIX in the center, but around the outside says…. Anybody attempts to tear it down shot him on the spot) :o Very interesting. The bent coin is a large cent and amazingly the date is still visible 1841 …Yes a first………. The seated Quarter was found at the site that Leah found her first large cent. You may have seen it in one of my early posts…..again more buttons, a thimble and an assortment of nice suspender buckles. Enjoy………. :)

5 Medium Web view.jpg

2 Medium Web view.jpg

P9170025 Medium Web view.jpg

This case contains a few items from previous posts.but the colonial buckle in the lower right corner was found in a cow pasture. The watch fob and religious medal in the upper right corner were found in the front yard of one of my customers, with her permission of course. All others again were found throughout this year!

P9240008 Medium Web view.jpg

P9240017 Medium Web view.jpg

Barber coins, who doesn’t like to find them….the Quarter 1908 and the 2 Indians 1900 and 1905 were found in the same hole at a cellar hole site. Plus all the other goodies again were found this year at different sites……..

P9240008 Medium Web view.jpg

P9240001 Medium Web view.jpg

And finally ………Cheryl has put together a case showing the coins and items she has found over the past few months detecting with me. All these nice finds were found in farm fields except the 1817 large cent that’s the one on the left in the picture, it was found at a wooded site…. Her only two Indian head pennies are both the fat type one 1863 the other 1859. What is not shown in all of these cases are the iron relics, pieces of copper, flat buttons, many old pottery shards, basic horse strap buckles and the other goodies that come with relic hunting. I think you all get the picture.

P9240029 Medium Web view.jpg

If your hunting farm fields, old cellar holes back in the woods or simply areas that may have contained and old home at one time, then you know the chances are good that you will find some nice old pieces to and maybe a few firsts to add to your collection.
I hope you enjoyed most the coins and Relics displayed in the cases I have put together. I would also like to add ………..I hope everyone had a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving! BBS Keep on Digging!!! ;)

The Seeker

Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Re: Coins and Relics !!! A Season on Metal Detecing...............

Seeker, I am glad that you posted your finds, man! You defnitely found some great coins and relics this year. Are you still hunting with Timmy?

BDD...KylePA

gmsparky

Aug 14, 2007
metro detroit
Detector(s) used
dfx, m6, prizm III

what a great collection. love the combs and other odd things, like the locket picture. and yes, the barbers are always exciting. i only have one barber dime, but i know the feeling now. leah is hooked after the large cent, i'm sure. keep it up !!

gmsparky

Aug 14, 2007
metro detroit
Detector(s) used
dfx, m6, prizm III

forgot to ask. are you anywhere near the erie canal??

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Yo, Seeker, whazzzz up, my friend? It is nice to see a true professional back to posting on Tnet.

You had a great year! You found some nice quality coins that would impress a lot of individuals. Keep researching and searching, my friend! :)

By the way, I hope Timmy is still swinging with the passion!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool relics, not everyday you find a piece of paper MD'ing :)

HH
-GC

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Thank you seeker for an enjoyable post. You have alot of great finds and they are diplayed beautifully.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most excellent post and a nice walk through your adventures! Relic hunting is extreamly exciting and there is nothing like it .Be it battle fields or old home sites ,great walk into the past! Thanks much for the post . I really enjoyed it.

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

John,
Nice display, i thought i seen a few things in there that i found. What is funny we had a slow year compared to the last few and still pulled out alot of goodies. You, Tim and I need to start out in the spring strong since we missed alot of weekends this year. Although the snow has not fallen so this year is not over yet!
Jeff

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Fantastic post, Seeker.

You had a very respectable year. Great presentation!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a great collection :o

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome post and finds, I really enjoyed it, lots of great relics! Congrats and HH, Mike

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Nice displays. Now i know what I want to do with the relics I found this year.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome stuff Seeker,glad you posted....Being the "cellar hole" King as you are,I kinda expected all these treasure's,especially the monkey pic.The last case of Cheryl's has be top on the list for ya!!! Great Relic's and Coin's.....Thank's for sharing!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Seeker, Did you make the display cases yourself or buy them prefabricated? I'd like to put together some nice displays similar to the ones you assembled. Very nice displays.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very professional job on the displays and you tell a great story about it all. I love those old goodies and coins. Thanks for sharing.

DANGLANGLEY

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really a FANTASTIC post! Congratulations on all of the interesting house site items you have found. Nice work! I'm beginning to like this style of hunting more and more.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread