Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...or how to destroy a 2-cent piece

Back to an old Baltimore park today (hints: zoo, boat lake, mansion). I followed-up on one of my recent test sites and really had a great hunt, however the old coins were mostly toasted. The hillside I was searching yielded three IHPS, an 1864 2-cent piece and a shield nickel. Another coin was so badly corroded, there's no defining it. The 2-center was pretty chunky, so I attempted electrolysis...and ruined it; that's why it's not shown here. The best IHP of the lot is the 1864. The other two at the bottom of the pic are an 1881 and a "you guess the date". I think there's more there to find and hope that one of these will be silver.
Finds.jpg

Upvote 8

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Art, Encouraging to find a productive site. Perhaps a thorough search will yield silver.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW. The best find of the day was the 2-center because of its shape. I knew right away I had something different and old.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks DP. Here's the best of the lot; this one, being the oldest actually cleaned up the best. 64IHP.jpg

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good hunt when those types of early coins show up. But, I wonder if we aren't starting to hit a time limit on them.

When I hunted that very same park, in the 70's, I got all those same coins but, they were in such better condition. I know it is very location specific. Even a few inches away can make a BIG difference as far as conditions. But, still, I'm starting to believe that time may be running out on anything less than silver.

That place is probably still full of targets though. There were Civil War troops bivouacked there and after the great Baltimore fire, a lot of stuff was dumped there.

Nice hunt!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Whadifind. I've never pulled a dropped three-ringer from Druid, but have dug my share from Patterson. Patterson's off-limit for now, per Dept Rec and Parks, so I'm back to the other old parks. The conditions certainly matter, as you said. Near the mansion I've dug some nicely green IHPS, but other locations, as in the case of Thursday's hunt, the soil is highly corrosive, so that even bronze gets beaten up.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the IHs . Something that seems to be avoiding me this year so far .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions