🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live 2 houses from Suzi and I found a silver chain in my front yard while cleaning up debris after the F-5 along with some old negatives of pictures from what looks to be the 40s. And unopened syringes from St. Johns hospital that was a direct hit of the tornado and moved 4 inches off it foundation, structural engineers who declared the hospital unsafe have estimated that the wind speed needed to do this would be in excess of 300 m.p.h. it is going to be rebuilt at 50th and Main street. The hospital is 44 blocks from me.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Drove by the area just after the storm, and it looked as though a bull dozer had been through there.... :o

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bull dozer or a nuclear bomb. Go 3 blocks north of my home and everything is flat.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wanting to let everyone who has asked about the tornado I will give an update its now 3 months since Joplin was devastated by the EF-5. There were over 4,000 homes destroyed and 3,500 damaged leaving 17,000 people homeless or living in hotels. St. Johns hospital was destroyed and it will rebuilt in a different part of town. 161 people lost their lives. There were 1,700 injured, 8,000 vehicles were destroyed. 10 schools were destroyed or heavily damaged, 13 apartment complexes lost, 28 churches were damaged or destroyed. 557 businesses gone including about 80% of the doctors and dentists offices. Two fire stations with 4 fire trucks destroyed. In all over 160 acres was destroyed or roughly 1/3 of Joplin. To see a small part of the damage go to youtube and type "Joplin tornado before and after". This is a run down 20th street from east to west covering just 30 blocks of the over 60 blocks affected from Range Line road to Main street. Where the video begins is Range Line where over 60 people were killed. Again thanks to all of my treasurelore friends for asking about how things are going and all the support that has been shown to Joplin. Norman/ Motwister.

Last edited:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concerning the story that is one honest pastor, I wonder how many people here would return the coins Mmmmmmmmm I'm still thinking about it if I found burried coins or coins in the attic would I and I live in a 1779 home. Mmmmmmmmm

S

stefen

What a profound statement; "We were in the closet, holding on to each other", he said. "When we felt like we couldn't hang on any longer, it stopped, and we looked up and saw sky".

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The tornado was so wide up that it actually had an eye that was hundreds of feet across. There were multiple accounts of roofs being ripped off and the people looking up to see blue sky before the back end of the tornado slammed into the buildings. I had a friend who took refuge in his sunken bathroom and he had to hold on to the door to keep it from being sucked out into the house. As soon as the tornado was gone he let go of the door and it fell off of the hinges. He steps outside to survey what is left of his house and finds a women's body hanging in his tree. There were 6 people killed within 2 blocks of his house. He also lost a 19 foot travel trailer that was in his driveway and it has not been seen since. The losses as of 11-22-11 are 2.8 billion dollars.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
To everyone who as looked at the video and commented about the loss of trees it has been estimated that between 15,000-20,000 trees were lost to the tornado. Of the ones that remained most have be cut down due to the loss of bark and branches due to the 250+ mile per hour winds. When we arrived on scene just after the tornado ( I am a fireman) I commented to the crew that the tornado was at least at F-4 or 5 due to the trees being debarked and the strips of ground torn up near the high school and Franklin tech. school which sits behind the high school which will be demolished next month. At the Home Depot store where over 30 people were killed it was reported that after the tornado had passed that it rained leaves for 15 minutes covering the ground with up to 8 inches of leaves. The tornado also ripped 3 swimming pools that were full of water from the ground along with the pool itself just leaving muddy holes in the ground where the pools were. Debris from the tornado was blown 18,000 feet into the sky with papers being found 215 miles from Joplin. Most of the debris has been removed and it looks like your out in the country with just a few houses being built and lots of nothing as far as the eye can see. Also as for my handle I took this name after my house was hit by one back in 1996 and sustained damage. Just released are two books about the event. One is "5:41" (the time the tornado struck) and the other is "32 minutes in May, The Joplin Tornado". MoTwister

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
FYI tonight is the 7 homes in 7 days episode of Extreme Home makeover filmed in Joplin on 26th street along the path of the EF-5 tornado that destroyed 1/3 of Joplin on May 22, 2011. Please tune in to see how the Joplin area is recovering. Tonight 8 EST 7 CST. And again thanks for all the support. Norman aka MoTwister.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just to let everyone know that Joplin has lost over 17,000 people due to the tornado. Either moving to other area's or being relocated by FEMA. I ran into a friend of mine who was metal detecting about a block from where his house stood on Wisconsin street. He was looking for coins collection that a friend had lost due to the tornado. I told him that it was amazing that 2 years ago we were planning on going water hunting as he had just gotten a Tesoro sand shark. I had not seen him since the tornado and did not know for sure that he had survived. He said his son was home when the tornado stuck and lost his leg. His Tesoro was destroyed but his Whites DFX did survive but with damage to the loop. He contacted Whites and they offered him a new detector if he would let them have this one as to display at their offices as a "Tornado survivor" from the most expensive tornado in history. He declined the offer as he and this detector had just been through to much together and they sent him what he needed for free. So a big two thumbs up to Whites electronics for their service.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread