Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v only used Coinstar once.

& you'r right, at the Exchange rate, they can't complain :)

J E F F

Steeler Fan

Apr 3, 2005
When I have used coinstar they charge me 10%...I am in San Antonio though.

The machine that I use is pretty picky and will spit out anything that is not somewhat clean.

On a sidenote...whenever I pass that machine while in the store, I always check the coin return...found a 1943s Steel Lincoln in very nice shape about 6 months ago. I wonder if they will not accept "steelies"? ????

Steeler Fan

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Up here in NEW HAMPSHIRE its only 8% . its not bad i jam the machine and they open it up and you get all the strange coins i got a silver dime once. good luck H H

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took some in to Bank of America near Ft. Worth (it was a satellite bank in an Albertson's Grocery Store) and they did not have a coin sorter and wouldn't take any loose coins. They pointed out the Coinstar machine, but after reading the "fine print", they took about 11% of the take. Well, I did run about 500 zinc pennies thru there, but for all the bending over and digging, I am not about to give them 11% of my hard earned take. The bank would take rolled coins and I unloaded a lot of my black quarters and dimes. They probably weren't too happy to see the coins when they broke the rolls , but what the heck, they spend just as good as a shiny one. I relocated to Minnesota and the local bank has a coin sorter and has no problem taking the coins. I just deposit them in a separate savings account to pay for next MD upgrade or accessories.

bagglaydee

Mar 22, 2005
Kernersville, North Carolina
I happen to work in the accounting office in a Walmart. Though I've just recently decided to get "serious" about MDing, most of my finds come from work! It's a rare day when I don't get at least one wheatie, the best day I found 8! Get at least one silver coin a week. Can't spend a lot of time looking through the coins...supposed to be working, ya' know!

Anyhow, we will take exchange coins for currency. Just ask that you rinse the dirt off so our sorter doesn't get jammed. Beat up coins are fine, too, as we send those to the bank in our deposits!

HH all....Barb

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey Dano...You're getting ripped on the exchange rate. ?Coinstar is only 9% down here in Loveland. ?I only used it once and got a $55.00 return. ?Plus a handful of bent and corroded pennies it wouldn't accept. ?Guess that worked out to be around $61.00 in clad and $6.00 in fees! ?The kicker is you have to spend it as a credit in the King Soopers store that houses the machine. ?Not sure if I'll do that again. ?I can roll and deposit them in the bank for 9 cents on the dollar. ?BTW, all I do to clean my coins is an oxi-clean soak and sceen rinse. ?Doesn't make them shine but boils off all the foriegn matter. ?Plenty clean enough for a bank. ;D ?HH~CO2

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Ours is 9%, rarely use it except the day before payday if necessary. Last time I went by there was a lot of change in the return hopper ($1.64)-guess when the coins run through, the machine makes so much noise that you can't hear them going into the rejection pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread