Coinstar bonus!

seadog92

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2005
Tacoma, WA
One of the banks that I buy boxes of halves from has a coin star machine, and they encouraged me to just deposit the coins back into the machine, as it doesn't go back to them. They've been very encouraging in my hobby, asking how many I found in the last box, holding hand rolled coin, offering me Ike's when they come in etc.

Yesterday, my son took a box of halves to run through the machine, and as always, he checked the reject pocket to see what hadn't been counted. Along with a couple halves, he found a beautiful AU or better 1956 dime! Someone hadn't cleaned out the coin pocket, and left me a treasure. Not only was it nice to find a little peace of silver, but it showed me that there are still plenty of people out there that don't look at what they dump in those machines. To me, that translates into a long future of this hobby for all of us.

I've been doing the coin hunt since last September, and usually find something in each box. I've been skunked a few times sure, but my running average over the last four months has been about 4 silver per box.

I wonder how many of you mark your coins before turning them back in? Starting the first of December I've been marking mine with different colors, depending upon where I dump them, just as a fun thing to do to see how soon I would start seeing them come back to me. I found my first marked coin (red) last week in a box, but that was only one out of $12K that I've gone through since starting to mark them. And, with the reading of the post from the person that used to work for Loomis, I can now understand why.

Good luck to all you hunters!

engine 823

Dec 27, 2007
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
Not as exciting as your find but I saw a guy come into a bank yesterday and use the customer coin machine. I waited around till he left and walked over. A quarter had been left. Nothing special but still.
Good Hunting!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread