Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow coinstar miners,

I just found out that my local grocery store will waive the coinstar fee if you purchase something at their store...might be something worth looking into in your area as well.

That's all,

Coinstar magnet. :)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...found out that my local grocery store will waive the coinstar fee if you purchase something at their store..
tn_metal_detector.gif
Dang
CM. Who would have known. Seems that it would be beneficial for super markets to actually hang a sign on (or near) the CoinStar. If anyone member takes advantage of this - how about dropping replying to CM's thread and letting us know.

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Dang
CM. Who would have known. Seems that it would be beneficial for super markets to actually hang a sign on (or near) the CoinStar. If anyone member takes advantage of this - how about dropping replying to CM's thread and letting us know.
My guess is that they give you back the fee at the service counter? Because the coinstar automatically takes 10 or 11 percent.... keep you posted 😊

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local supermarkets used to accept the Coinstar vouchers at full value too, Not anymore, in fact, they don't take them at all. I can still get 100% value for other stores though. It's just cash where Coinstar gets their pound of flesh from you.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a side note about getting full value......I was using the machine to get a Home Depot voucher when the machine jammed up. When the clerk came and got it working again, it would only do cash, (less 10% of course!). I complained that I wanted the voucher to go buy something at that store. Nothing they could do about that, but, the Coinstar representative on the phone said they would snail-mail me a check at full value.....which they did! One way to get full cash value I guess.....if you're willing to wait a few days.

Mdpartner

Sep 8, 2018
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a bank that has the coin counting machines. No charges.

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a side note about getting full value......I was using the machine to get a Home Depot voucher when the machine jammed up. When the clerk came and got it working again, it would only do cash, (less 10% of course!). I complained that I wanted the voucher to go buy something at that store. Nothing they could do about that, but, the Coinstar representative on the phone said they would snail-mail me a check at full value.....which they did! One way to get full cash value I guess.....if you're willing to wait a few days.
Good to know cudamark,
I love hearing about the different situations involving coinstars...

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local supermarkets used to accept the Coinstar vouchers at full value too, Not anymore, in fact, they don't take them at all. I can still get 100% value for other stores though. It's just cash where Coinstar gets their pound of flesh from you.
I ended up opening up a basic checking account here so I could use their coin roll machine...

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow coinstar miners,

I just found out that my local grocery store will waive the coinstar fee if you purchase something at their store...might be something worth looking into in your area as well.

That's all,

Coinstar magnet. :)
They all waive the fee if you get some kind of gift card for Amazon or something... I don't use Coinstar, but you can also do a search online for places that don't charge a fee to count your coins, some banks don't and some businesses don't as well..
I just roll them and use the rolls to pay for stuff, wife hates it because she knows how dirty the coins are in the rolls, but I don't care, its still money..
And really crusty looking stuff can go into vending machines, as they can't check for color of the coins... ha ha ha

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all waive the fee if you get some kind of gift card for Amazon or something... I don't use Coinstar, but you can also do a search online for places that don't charge a fee to count your coins, some banks don't and some businesses don't as well..
I just roll them and use the rolls to pay for stuff, wife hates it because she knows how dirty the coins are in the rolls, but I don't care, its still money..
And really crusty looking stuff can go into vending machines, as they can't check for color of the coins... ha ha ha
You are correct sir. :)
I didn't think it all the way through when I heard the banker tell me...I guess I was alittle too optimistic...some of those coins can be filthy...

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct sir. :)
I didn't think it all the way through when I heard the banker tell me...I guess I was a little too optimistic...some of those coins can be filthy...
The problem is I want cash in my pocket not a gift card from Amazon, where I am forced to spend my hard found loot !! 🤣
My years of experience has given me insight into how to dispose of crappy coins, Years ago when I was in Spain and they used Pesetas we would dig 100 and 500 Peseta coins on the beach that were eat up and really nasty, no one would take them, sooo we started spending them in a cigarette machine in a local bar not far from home... I advise you NEVER to do this... because... the owner knows you and his customers complained because they would simply recycle the coins back into the coin return of the machine, for change for other patrons.... Until the owner told us to stop putting our shitty coins in his cigarette machine ha ha ha ... then we moved on the someone else's machine ...
Soda, Candy and Vending machines DON"T know the difference, they won't take silver, and won't take Mower chewed coins but hey.... everything else is fair game...

If the coins were almost unrecognizable or machines would not take them, if you had a bank account you could give them to the bank and they would return them to the Mint who would verify the coins and give you the value in your acct. I'm sure they do the same here....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a bank that has the coin counting machines. No charges.
None of my banks here have the machines on site. You have to give them the coins to be sorted somewhere else and credited to you account. I'm just too hesitant to do that. First you would have to count them first. If I'm going to all that trouble, I may as well roll them and deposit them into my account. I'm too lazy to do that. I like to just tumble them and run them through a Coinstar for various gift cards. There's usually plenty of choices of places I use all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions