coinstar find...

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know it's likely not really about metal detecting- and it was last week/ but I'm still shaking from this deal!... but it is still a nice silver find. I took a break from MDing since my tennis elbow has been annoying me...so I did some coin roll hunting and didn't really do all that well (2 40%ers out of $1000- but it was something!) so I decided to purchase a lotto ticket after dumping my change. it brought me to coin star and a guy who was dumping a ton of coins. I noticed he was having a lot of coinage drop in to the coin return - so I asked him if he'd be interested in selling me those coins. his response, sure! his cousin asked him to dump these coins for him. I mentioned I was a collector and I'd be interested (while pulling out my wallet)- he said look at these coins and tell me what ones you want...I was like I'd like them all for $20 - and he was totally ok with that. he stated he didn't know coins, and just wanted cash...so I handed him a $20 note, and started scooping up the whole mess - while eyeing up silver coins in the drop. when I got home I was surprised to find 8 mercs- a bunch of rosy's, one washington silver quarter, and one 1912 barber quarter (the first one I'd ever seen in real life!!!) I totaled up my silver haul from this deal - it was like my $20 got me $60 in silver coins (value not face, I'd have a heart attack if I'd found $60 in face value coinage!!! :laughing7:) - the clad I just added to my big jug that I dumped the next day for $106 in clad junk change...anyhow - here is a picture of my find of the month.
that got me pumped to go and detect...on the way I saw a bald eagle (bad phone pic, but it's still a cool site) - and I found my first merc in the ground, a 1938. it was the only merc I found at the new park I've been hitting, but it made my year - because it's the only merc I've found this *my first* year metal detecting. my next goal is a barber quarter or half! I haven't found too many older coins - but I'm thankful when I do!!! happy hunting all!!!!

Attachments

• IMG00116.jpg
    IMG00116.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG00118.jpg
    IMG00118.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG00104.jpg
    IMG00104.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 880

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice break!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions