Coinstar finds

jamin_03

Jul 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washinton
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a tip in looking in coinstars? I always look in the little opening in the bottom. Is there another place I should be looking?

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking he put his ring in a coin dish and forgot about it. I'll empty my pockets out into a dish. Maybe his ring was in his pocket or fell off. Idk?
My dad used to keep his in his ashtray as it didn't fit and that was where he kept all of his change. I could totally see someone just dumping all the change together. Or more likely since there was all the silver, it's some old relatives that passed away and they didn't think to check for "extras".

digdug44

Greenie
Nov 12, 2012
Beaumont, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!! I always forget to do a drive by check on those machines :icon_scratch:

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did those come from the reject bin in the front of the machine? Or the mysterious reject bin from the inside (from what I've heard)?

OP
OP
rfishoutofwater

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
FloridaFinder said:
Did those come from the reject bin in the front of the machine? Or the mysterious reject bin from the inside (from what I've heard)?

The reject bin in the front not aware of another. Unless its inside when they open to service it

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never thought about checking them, I guess i just figured people were smarter than they are, i guess there is a reason it is called the REJECT tray. My son will love it, he is always scanning the floors of the grocery store for coins.

OP
OP
rfishoutofwater

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
sheepdog_tx said:
How often are you checking Coinstar to find this much stuff?

I don't go to a store to just check them. If I'm there I check. Usually don't find anything. This was my first big find. If I do find anything it's usually foreign or a couple clad coins.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I never thought about checking them, I guess i just figured people were smarter than they are, i guess there is a reason it is called the REJECT tray. My son will love it, he is always scanning the floors of the grocery store for coins.

Tell him to check under the machine. If he's old enough, make him a tool that has a way to drag coins from under there and hit them to get the glued ones unstuck. I made one from a piece of metal in a wall that was being torn down.

Last edited:

hellzpriest

Nov 6, 2012
I found a 1989 austailan 5 cent piece last night in the reject tray along with a couple copper pennies. Cant beat free :)

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him to check under the machine. If he's old enough, make him a tool that has a way to drag coins from under there and hit them to get the glued ones unstuck. I made one from a piece of metal in a wall that was being torn down.

From a metal stud? Pix of said tool? Seem easier to shape one out of a wooden ruler. I'm too old so I guessed I make one for my daughter LOL

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
From a metal stud? Pix of said tool? Seem easier to shape one out of a wooden ruler. I'm too old so I guessed I make one for my daughter LOL

Sorry for the late reply, but I was really busy with school. I took the pics on the parking lot in front of my house and it shows the different views. The green is just electrical tape as the edge is a bit sharp. I do want a tool that will get me under coins that are really stuck (pry them off the floor). If you really want to do this every time you're under a coinstar machine, make sure that you get an LED flashlight with the most lumens possible (about $10 at HD, a great investment).

Attachments

• P1020763.JPG
    P1020763.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 117
  • P1020764.JPG
    P1020764.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 524
  • P1020765.JPG
    P1020765.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 126
  • P1020766.JPG
    P1020766.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 122

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for the late reply, but I was really busy with school. I took the pics on the parking lot in front of my house and it shows the different views. The green is just electrical tape as the edge is a bit sharp. I do want a tool that will get me under coins that are really stuck (pry them off the floor). If you really want to do this every time you're under a coinstar machine, make sure that you get an LED flashlight with the most lumens possible (about $10 at HD, a great investment).

Hey Sag, I've got to hand it to you, (and I've said before you have a great head on your shoulders before) that is cool a cool tool! I know everyone know this, but, you are a great contributor to this forum! HH, Maverick.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Sag, I've got to hand it to you, (and I've said before you have a great head on your shoulders before) that is cool a cool tool! I know everyone know this, but, you are a great contributor to this forum! HH, Maverick.

Thanks. It was practically pre-made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread