Coinstar in a bank?

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, since I've been back to college this year I've stopped at every bank in the area and the only one with a coin counter that is visible has the awful words "coin star" plastered across the front. Has anyone run into these machines before? They don't look like the big green ones you see in grocery stores, they are black and short like normal coin counters. Has anyone had success in buying a bag from one of these (coinstar brand) machines or do the coins go into a giant box like the other coinstars? I haven't asked because i associate the word coinstar with no. Thanks!

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think some banks have free coinstars

inquire

if you dont have an account....get one!

OP
OP
Th3Offspring

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigheed said:
i think some banks have free coinstars

inquire

if you dont have an account....get one!

sorry i didn't specify. i was more interested in buying the bags? from the machine and whether they carried bags or just a giant box in the bottom like the green coinstars lol

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I used free Coinstars in Premier West Bank for a couple months...
Then the Regional Manager called me to let me know my account was being moved to the "commercial" category, meaning that I would have to pay a 4% fee on ANY amount I put through Premier's counters, period.

So, If you are dumping at Premier West, I advise you to either:

Put in small amounts (less than $500), and space out your dumps, using different branches each time,

Or

PUT A LOT THROUGH REALLY FAST BEFORE THEY CATCH YOU !

Either way,

Keep on Rollin' !

OP
OP
Th3Offspring

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bump,

the question remains.....buying bags of coin from a "coin star" brand coin counter inside of a local bank. anyone have experience with these?

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
In my experience, it doesn't happen, because the machine is there per contract w/Garda.

Whatsoever goes in.....goes bye bye.

Keep on Rollin' !

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar named machines around me reject silver so if this type does getting its bags or boxes would be pointless, that is if you are looking for silver.

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th3Offspring said:
bump,

the question remains.....buying bags of coin from a "coin star" brand coin counter inside of a local bank. anyone have experience with these?

The answer is obvious: Call the bank and ask.

OP
OP
Th3Offspring

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
penman77 said:
Th3Offspring said:
bump,

My question was if anyone here had experience / success in obtaining coin from these? not sure how calling the bank would be helpful in the least bit. Thanks for your valiant effort though.

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked my bank many times and many different people. Same answer always, No. Thet tell me "We can not confirm the count is correct, so we cannot sell the bag"....I even told them I did'nt mind if it was short. Still No..

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Most Coinstar branded machines do not have "bags" I do not believe, but instead they put their change into large bins (I believe it is all mixed together) when the machine gets to a certain capacity it automatically calls a technician which then empties the bins and takes them back.

I think that most places would have a service contract with Coinstar that would automatically do the bags and such (it would be unlikely that the bank would even have the keys to open up the machine) so a bank (or Coinstar) would be unlikely to sell you the bags.

But the real question is why would you want them? Since Coinstar branded machines are calibrated to reject silver and foreign, unless you are a penny searcher it is impossible to find silver in them.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Even if you ARE a penny-searcher, it is impossible to find silver in them.

Keep on Rollin' !

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th3Offspring said:
penman77 said:
Th3Offspring said:
bump,

My question was if anyone here had experience / success in obtaining coin from these? not sure how calling the bank would be helpful in the least bit. Thanks for your valiant effort though.

Would you like to buy coins from that machine? If that is your question then that particular bank is uniquely qualified to answer the question.

OP
OP
Th3Offspring

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
penman77 said:
Would you like to buy coins from that machine? If that is your question then that particular bank is uniquely qualified to answer the question.

i apologize for the hostility, i was a bit peeved about a completely unrelated topic when i replied to your post. hope no harm was done. Thank you for commenting. I will be opening an account with this bank in the near future and if not possible to purchase coins from the machine it will at least be a good dump bank.

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th3Offspring said:
penman77 said:

i apologize for the hostility, i was a bit peeved about a completely unrelated topic when i replied to your post. hope no harm was done. Thank you for commenting. I will be opening an account with this bank in the near future and if not possible to purchase coins from the machine it will at least be a good dump bank.

No offense taken. I was just trying to clarify what the question was. Density on my part, perhaps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread